Mead recipe wanted please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browntea

Reaction score
Hi folks, this is my first post and I'm wanting already!!

I keep bees so naturally I want to have a go at making Mead! I've got the honey what else will I be needing?

I'm a noob to home brewing too, I've just bought a coopers ginger beer kit but that's another thread!!

Thanks

Whatever you make, honey is a bit lacking in the nutrients yeast likes, so some yeast nutrient
And probably some tannin

Browntea said:
Many thanks for all your replies i will let you know how i get on with it :thumb:

Definitely tell us which one's worked and which one's didnt i've got 3 demojohns on the got 4lbs honey added 1tsp marmite (instead of yeast nutrient), then one has 1 lemon, the other 2 limes and the other 1 orange, 25 raisins pinch of all spice, pinch of cineman and pinch of nutmug and 1 clove. Used Lavlin EC-1118 yeast on these and they are still bubbling away nicely every few seconds after 3 weeks. Going to start two more off but going to try lalvin K1-V1116 instead this time.

1baqmos

The summer fruit mead is similar to a recipe I use and is my favourite so far :thumb: My method is slightly different, I ferment the honey and 4l water with yeast and half the dose of nutrient (1/2 tsp), then add the other 1/2 tsp about 4 days later or so. When it has finished fermenting, I rack it into another DJ with about 1kg of summer fruit in it, and a 1tsp of pectolase. Save any leftover mead in a sanitised plastic bottle to top up later. Let it sit on the fruit for about 2 weeks until it has taken the colour of the fruit, and may even be starting to clear. Rack again to get rid of the fruit, and I usually add a campden tablet and pot sorbate to stop the yeast so I can backsweeten with more honey before clearing and bottling. Leave for 6 months before drinking.

The more honey you use, the higher abv it will be, but high abv mead will take longer to age before drinking. It might taste awful for the first few months but can be amazing after a year or two!

Browntea said:
Fingersuk that photo has really got me wanting to get started now! Keep them recipes rolling in folks. Thanks again

Go for it and post recipe and pic. Trying to workout my next two bottles as my bees have been busy.

Browntea said:
Mine have been busy too, but I would rather sell the honey to be honest, how many colony's have you got?

Just 2 but so had 305lbs of honey all OSR though. Not built myself a warming cabinet yet need to ASAP!

Wow you have done well!! I'm trying to get more hives,8 at the moment, so not had much honey! Maybe 50lb of OSR, should be taking them to the heather in the next week so fingers crossed I should get a fair bit of that

Have my mead on for a good 3 months now and it just stopped fermenting..

I made 10 liter with just honey, water, yeast and nutrient. I just added 1 tsp nutrient at the start and added 1 tsp after two weeks.

After two months i split the 10 liters in two seperate batches and added 250 grams of raspberry to 1 batch and 5 vanilla pods to the other batch.. The vanilla and the raspberries fermented with the mead and now i will put them away for a long bulk maturing..

Back