Bottles and Corks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks. Just a quickie (ooer missus)

I am going to be bottling up a few wines soon and I need to source more bottles.

Question: can/should I cork bottles that previously had screw tops?

This has been discussed many times in the forum and the general view is it is not advisable as the glass is too thin to withstand the pressure of the cork and could break, some say they have done it for years but i would not risk it.

I bottle into plastic 1.5 litre spring water bottles and have never had a problem, if it has to be glass ask your local pub/ wine bar to put some empties to one side and you will collect them regularly.

there is a guy in doncaster(if close to you), that sells 40 beer bottels for £10 and 20 wine bottles for £10 all matching.

I'm afraid Donnie isn't exactly local to me (I'm in Hampshire).

I've managed to use my local pub to great effect, yielding a good few bottles early on.

I also half-inched one or two from people's recycling boxes en route home from said pub (my gf wasn't pleased about this.)

The majority of my bottles are screwtop and I've never had one break in 5 years. What I will say is though, screwtop bottles seem to have slightly wider necks and I tried some cheaper corks and although never had any leak, there was a bit of seepage on the side of the cork so I went back to using the Favorite brand which seem to be slightly wider corks and no problems since. Hope this helps.

The majority of my bottles are screwtop and I've never had one break in 5 years. What I will say is though, screwtop bottles seem to have slightly wider necks and I tried some cheaper corks and although never had any leak, there was a bit of seepage on the side of the cork so I went back to using the Favorite brand which seem to be slightly wider corks and no problems since. Hope this helps.

what would the the Favorite brand be, i have used my screw top bottles a few times now and i am thinking of corking them next time.

Back