bottleing straight from keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davereal

Regular.
Reaction score
hope this isn't a stupid question. only my 2nd brew. got a 4fingered jack ready to go into a keg.i'd like to bottle maybe 10 pints. not having a 2nd tub . is it possible to prime in the keg then fill 10 bottles from the tap on the keg. if so would i leave cap open or screw tight whilst doing so.if this is possible would i need to co2 the keg as it would be 10 pints shy. many thanks advance.

if you have just batch primed the keg, leave it an hour and then I normally siphon the beer from the top, ive never used the tap i dont see any issues with it?????

thanks. that makes sense. seeing that i'd already have the syphon out. but may have less control stopping the flow. visions of minor drenching and much cursing. i'm waiting on delivery of a king keg with a top tap and thought may be easier to on/off.would it be wise to add co2 as the keg would only be 2/3rds full or would it be fine left alone.haven't got anything to measure and only using the 8g bulbs.as said quite green but keen and want to get it right.still awaiting my 1st brew . a festival landlords should be ready in a month. hence the buying of a2nd keg.didn't like seeing that ferm bin stand empty. fingers crossed .hope i've done everything right.

i wouldnt add co2 too it for the moment and relay on the carbonation doing its thing, you could always add co2 at a later date, again i am sure someone more experienced will help out if im wrong, ive got an AAA i ve done the same with- batched primed and siphoned, im planning on drinking the PB part soon ill let u know how it turns out, :hat:

thanks. glad to hear someone's done it and gets a thumbs up. planning to keg/bottle sunday. looking to add the hops thursday. still being a newbie i 've had one sneaky look and sniff and it did smell amazing.had a few craft ales in pubs and found a couple of them too strong. kernnell 7.5%was one. not sure if thats spelt correctly. which seeing how expensive they are' is good cos you couldn't to to drink many.haven't tried any yank ambers. so yeah let us know what you think. cheers

I have a piece of hose that fits over the barrel tap. You should siphon the brew over the priming sugar in the keg and the fill you barrels slowly from the tap. You can also buy a bottling aid that does tje same thing. The hose stops most of the froth. However I also find that bottles need more sugar, brewing sugar of course. So add 1/2 a tea spoon and give it a shake to mix after putting the cap on.

Take care that when using the tap on the keg that you don't get aeration of the beer. I know the taps on my pressure barrels seem to blast the beer out. A piece of tubing attached to the tap might help stop this.

I have a piece of hose that fits over the barrel tap. You should siphon the brew over the priming sugar in the keg and the fill you barrels slowly from the tap. You can also buy a bottling aid that does tje same thing. The hose stops most of the froth. However I also find that bottles need more sugar, brewing sugar of course. So add 1/2 a tea spoon and give it a shake to mix after putting the cap on.

ended up syphoning into the keg then syphoning into 12 bottles. this was last sunday. my query now is after 4 days .Not sure what the beer in the bottles( got 3 that are clear) should look like. look a bit flat to me . cloudy. yes .sediment in the bottom. yes?. i only left for 40minutes priming in the keg before transferring to bottles. is it worth opening one now to see if it pops. if not add half a spoon sugar now.or just leave be. just don't want to open a flat beer in 6 or so weeks. at the minute they're in spare room. probably 18 to 20ish degrees. kegs in cellar which has dropped to 12.bubble rap and quilt and some heating belt issues.think i've kept bout 19degrees. says a week in warm . leave longer.? cheers

Latest posts

Back