Cider fart question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emptybee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Seems I, well my cider, has a case of the rhino farts. Unfortunately I kegged it before reading up on what the smell was and how to get rid of it. When I syphoned it off and got a mouthful it tasted delicious despite the smell so I assumed it would be alright. I always make a couple of test bottles when kegging in case my lack of patience gets the better of me and decided to have one last night. It tasted great but the smell was still as bad as the when it was in the fermenter.

All advice I've read on the matter suggests various treatments (or additional time) in the FV or to bubble CO2 through it if in a keg. It's too late for the former and as I used a simple keg so am unable to do the later is there any hope for me?

It has only been a week and a half since I kegged/bottled so is it a matter of leave to condition for a few months and it'll be alright or am I screwed? Would rather know now as could use that keg for another brew if it isn't going to improve! The kit was a Bulldogs Perfect Apple Cider and instructions were followed throughout.

Thanks,

emptybee

You need to shake the gas out to get rid of the smell. You can just do it later when you serve it, give the cider a damn good stir and get all the gas out of it and it should be fine. It won't do you any harm anyway.

Thanks Jonny, good to know it will be alright. I will just have to make sure I pour guests pints in another room and keep the windows open :wink:

I've just read that stirring with copper wire or adding clean pennies can help so have had the idea to add a length of copper piping from homebase to the kegs tap so that it runs through the pipe and into the glass.

Any idea as to whether this will work at all or would I be wasting my money? Also will the cider keep okay in the keg with this eggy smell or is it likely to go bad more quickly?

Thanks

:lol:

Joking aside you can try pouring from one bucket to anothe rmaking sure it splash, there is also something you can now add to get rid of it, a member posted about it recently i think it was an eggy smell thread.

I'm happy enough to drink it with a nose peg on but not sure my girlfriend would have the same dedication to the cause :)

I read about that too Chippy_Tea, something called reduless I think. Had a very quick look but couldn't see a supplier in the UK. My problem with sloshing it about is that it is already kegged and whatever I do I'm likely to lose carbonation. Might just try degassing it with a bent hanger and drill as you would wine and having it as a flat cider. Keen to have it drinkable while I wait for the two wine kits and wherry I have to age as now I've re-caught the homebrew bug the idea of buying alcohol is not appealing!

Had a very quick look but couldn't see a supplier in the UK

Same here, it a shame as it seems to be a great product (see below).

the idea of buying alcohol is not appealing!

I know that feeling, let us know how you get on.

Reduless® : the end of reduction-type defectsREDULESS® : SULFUR DEFECT MANAGEMENT

Reduless® is an innovative biological tool developed by Lallemand to treat wines showing sulfur-related defects. This product is comprised of yeast derived products and can be used in white and red wines.

During the 2006 International Wine Challenge (London, U.K.), 9,000 wines were tested and 7% showed sensory defects. It was concluded that the sulfur like compound defects were related to current winemaking conditions (high grape maturity, long maceration, reductive conditions during white winemaking, types of closures), coupled with poor yeast inoculation preparation and inadequate yeast nutrition.

Immediately after adding Reduless to wine, the product reacts with the sulfur like compounds to eliminate them. Reduless has the advantage of removing the sulfur like compounds without the negative input of usual treatments (e.g., copper sulfate), where negative properties can surface, such as harsh tannins and metallic tastes. After approximately 3 days the polysaccharides in Reduless® will help maintain the wines smoothness and volume. Reduless is eliminated simply by racking or filtration. All the problem wines that underwent trials with Reduless showed improvements.

Latest posts

Back