Grape Juice for WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pahodgson

Reaction score
Hello, is anyone else having difficulty buying grape juice? Aldi seem to have stopped doing it and I can't find any in my local Tesco or Asda. I can buy White Grape, Pear and Apple/ White Grape, Pear and Peach, which makes a lovely variation, but can I JUST use this or do I have to bung pure grape juice in it as well? I do have some small bottles of grape concentrate and was wondering whether I could water it down to make 'grape juice' and what ratio should I use? It seems a rather expensive way of doing it, unless of course I can make about 5 litres of grape juice out of one bottle.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - plus an info as to where I CAN buy grape juice!

Hello, white grape juice seems to becoming rather extinct - at least locally to me.
Red grape juice seems much easier to find both pressed and from concentrate..
I get it from Sainsbury's this one from concentrate is usually a good price;

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sain...ruit_Juice/Sainsburys_Red_Grape_Juice_1L.html

I wanted to try some wow variations with white grape juice recently and per above could not locate any locally so in the end had to buy from ebay. You can get a 900g tin of youngs white grape juice concentrate delivered for around £10.50. Thats enough to make six bottles of wine or split it up like i did to use in wow "experiments". I believe Wilko's also sell it or there own label version if you have one locally.

Asda sell red grape juice in bottles and at the moment its 3 for £3, you can also get £1 delivery slots which makes it a bargain.

5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Have you thought about buying a wine kit for the grape juice?
It might be initially expensive but maybe split it with mates?
You can buy a Harris Chardonney kit online for £35 with postage
(shop4homebrew website). For that you get SEVEN kg of the
Dogs B******s WINE grape juice rather than eating grape juice
from the supermarkets. If anyone could confirm my maths, I'd
be grateful but I believe these kits are usually about 11.5%, so
contain 5.135 Kg of sugar. A supermarket wgj contains at most
180 g sugar, so if you weigh out 250g of the kit juice you'll get
180 g of wine grape sugar for 125p. The kit juice can be kept
in the freezer, or split up into 250ml water plastic bottles, and
you get wgj for 28 gallons of wine.

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have the ratio of mixing grape concentrate to make up to grape juice (if indeed it is possible) and is it possible to make a gallon just using a few litres of white grape pear and apple (not using full grape juice) failing that i will use red grape juice and make it a rose' wine!

Brewing: coffee wine (first time for that, smells ok but will delay judgement til tasting!)
Ribena wine
Rosehip

Lidl doing cartons of premium red grape juice for 9p at the moment. It is not chilled, so you can buy a lot and keep it for future use.

Andy

I searched for ages for white grape juice before finally discovering it in Waitrose. For some reason it's not in the chilled section but on the aisle shelves with the long-life juices.

White grape juice around here is non-existant. None of the supermarkets, corner shops, cash & carrys or market stalls have ANY!

Asda have removed it from their website too. Apparently Ocado and Waitrose do stock the White. Online it seems to be, seen as the closest Brew Shop is 30 miles away now, unless I wait until the first Friday of the month for the helpful chap from Doncaster to open his market stall for the concentrate stuff.

Being a bit of a chancer, on the look out for a bargain, I popped into LIDL on the way home tonight.

Red GJ is on at 99p or 95p or whatever it is and when I have used it in the past it was OK. Since I don't, stricly speaking, need any more homebrew clutter in the kitchen or fridge, at the mo, I passed. (Got "3 for £3" on RGJ from ASDA cluttering the place up, with no Range Rose kit to bung it in yet).

Not seen WGJ in ages, but since the RGJ will make a sort of Rose-ay at reddest, and adding tannin in the form of tea bags is fairly common, it is hard to see the problem, really, from a can-opener beer brewer's perpective.

The point is that the deep red colour in Red Wine, along with the "big" tannins, is obtained by fermenting the pulp, including skins for a week or so. The alcohol and time, leach the colour from the grape skins.

That process will not be replicated prior to the RGJ appearince in your local supermarket.

Yes Chippy.

Although it now only seems that Lidl sell the RGJ, 95p per litre at the moment, so have stocked up on this for now.

WGJ on the other hand, is seemingly impossible to get hold of in a 30mile radius.

Back