Tarwebier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh7117

alejunky
Reaction score
Got this on the go today.

Used 835g brewing sugar.
Hydrated yeast.
Pitched at 20.

I am a big fan of weizen beer so looking forward to this one.

Instructions were 50g per litre, brew volume was 15L and using brewing sugar they recommend 10% more...

Is there a better way for Tarwebier?

Thanks Mark..

I went for Brewing sugar as LHBS recommended it for the kit. Obviously they need to get rid of a whole load of brewing sugar before the sell by date!:) I am such a rooky!:-D
Light DME.. So that would retain body and keep the yeast happy?
And I take it brewing sugar is a load of pump then?!?

Was reading a thread elsewhere on adding sugar to AG receipes and it came up that belgian beers often use a lot of candy sugar. Tbh, I know almost nothing about belgian beer as it's not a style I like/make - May be this the reason for the large amount of brewing sugar? Was it in the instructions to add that much?

Edit: Think the OP and myself were cross posting so has given the reason for the brewing sugar. Is Tarwebier even a Belgian beer or is it German - shows how much I know about this style :mrgreen:

MyQul, I used 5g over the recommended amount..
They recommend candy sugar or raw cane sugar for an alternative taste but to use 5% more than the stated dose. But 'crystal sugar' is the the recommended sugar.

My Belgium beer after 2 weeks in the bottle.
The taste is very alcoholic at the moment.
At 6.4% it needs some time in the bottle but it is looking good so far! Its cloudy as I have used the yeast sediment in the pour.

IMG_5227.jpg

Last edited:
haha! The missus had just changed the little 'un prior to taking the picture. :D

Well well well!!

After leaving this alone for a year this has developed into something special!

Really creamy, orange comes through has not come out thin and can hardly taste the alchohol content.

If you can leave a few bottles aside for big alcohol content beers. They improve immensely!!

Latest posts

Back