Coopers European Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheazy_joe

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having bottled my Coopers European Lager on 12th April I decided to open one (which turned into two) last night. Bearing in mind it is just shy of four weeks the beer has been bottled, and the recommendation is twelve weeks, I was very impressed indeed!

Perhaps not as fizzy as I expected, I used two carbonation drops per 500ml bottle, and no head on the beer at all which was a wee bit disappointing. But none of that took away from the fact the beer tasted great and if it is going to improve with age then I think I've got a real winner here.

On the fizzy front, my mrs tried a drink and said she thought the level of carbonation was spot on. I guess I'm just too used to commercial lagers which are often way over carbonated.

Anyway, looking forward to this one maturing and will defo be making it again. Pity we're coming into summer where the temps will be too high to make another.

As this was my first time doing this kit I brewed it as per the instructions, being 1kg of BE2 I think. I brewed it short to 21 litres however.

May add a bit of hops next time, but is pretty good the way it is.

My first brew which was in February was this kit and I also originally thought it would be under carbonated but after leaving it 7-8 weeks the bottles have really "firmed up". I agree though the flavour is spot on. So I suppose patience really is key.

I did this one last summer as an emergency brew, as I got caught out by the hot spell and ran out of the lighter beers. I made it up with a Hallertau hop tea, and further dry hopped it with Hallertau.

Patience is the key, needs a good 8 weeks in the bottle to come to it's best, but it was superb. In fact, I regularly brew the Coopers European (proper low-temp lager) and I think it was better. Possibly one of the best "lagers" I've tasted.

Hi darrellm how did you prime your lager ,I want to batch prime mine but undecided how much cane sugar to use ?

I made the Coopers Australian Lager and was really chuffed with it. Light, fizzy (no tablets), a real good summer session ale at 4.0%.

Back