Get Er Brewed BIAB All Grain Starter Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexislife

Reaction score
Hello...

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Having spent time debating where to start with home brewing today I've taken the plunge and opted to get this kit from Get Er Brewed. With 20% off seemed like a good deal.

Anyone else got this kit or brewed the American Pale Ale that comes with it?

Did you also use the 5% discount for members?

Hello...

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Having spent time debating where to start with home brewing today I've taken the plunge and opted to get this kit from Get Er Brewed. With 20% off seemed like a good deal.

Anyone else got this kit or brewed the American Pale Ale that comes with it?

Did you also use the 5% discount for members?

I did put the code in before checkout but didn't seem to discount any further, just looked again and looks like it should have worked. DAMN! I blame the fact I was ordering it on my phone on the way to work.

Oh well 20% is still pretty good.

Will be interested to hear how the false bottom works, interested in one myself but not sure if it will stay in place during the boil - no biggie for you and not something to worry about.

Enjoy your new kit, pretty good value there !

I have to place 2 stainless steel egg cups at the bottom of the boiler to keep the false bottom level,otherwise it won`t sit properly and will rest directly on top of the element.

Took the plunge and ordered this today after being enthused by Clibit's 'simple AG' post. I've only done kits before so looking forward to this. The kit comes with a lot of bits I already have from brewing kits but the boiler, false bottom, wort chiller and the grain kit combined seemed than cheaper than buying separately.

An other option I was tempted to go for was the 50l pot for around £39 from catering portal but it meant finding all the other bits seperate. If / when I upgrade it seems like the logical route.

Quick question, would I be able to fill a corny from this 32l boiler?

Cheers

You can boil around 26 litres safely in the Peco boiler - after losing some to the boil and whats left in the bottom of the boiler below the tap level you should be able to get 20litres I would think into your FV which should give you 19l for your corny.

If during the boil the level drops much below 22 litres I would top up with boiling water to get you back to 22 litres at the end of the boil, before transferring to your FV.

I used my new boiler for the first time and kept topping up the boil to 25-26l as wanted 23 litres in my FV. I lost quite a lot as the tap kept getting blocked. Your false bottom (which I don't have as got my kit from the HBC) should help reduce any clogging of the tap.

Good luck with the brew and enjoy your new kit!

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Although, why is the tap getting blocked. Isn't everything apart from liquid contained within the bag?

EDIT: just realised this is the kit with the false bottom so you should be fine.

I don't have the false bottom with my kit and my tap got blocked up a bit with coagulated proteins floating in the wort after the boil.

An easy solution adopted by many on here if you do have this problem is to jug the boiled wort through a sieve into your FV.

I have picked up a brupaks hop strainer which should push fit into the rear of the tap in the boiler but not tried it yet.

EDIT: just realised this is the kit with the false bottom so you should be fine.

I don't have the false bottom with my kit and my tap got blocked up a bit with coagulated proteins floating in the wort after the boil.

An easy solution adopted by many on here if you do have this problem is to jug the boiled wort through a sieve into your FV.

I have picked up a brupaks hop strainer which should push fit into the rear of the tap in the boiler but not tried it yet.

DIdn't you go for a peco boiler? you changed the tap aswell?

DIdn't you go for a peco boiler? you changed the tap aswell?

Hi Covrich,

I went for the £81 HBC kit with the Peco boiler - but no false bottom/hop strainer, just comes with a plastic tap.

I have just picked up one of these for £9 new off ebay which pushes into the rear of the pastic tap in the peco boiler, not used it yet but thought for £9 it was worth a try:
http://www.homebrewcentre.co.uk/copper-hop-strainer

Coagulated proteins?! Nobody warned me about these! Is this left at the bottom of the brew?

Coagulated proteins?! Nobody warned me about these! Is this left at the bottom of the brew?

Do not worry about it too much , this is all part of what the irish moss whirlfloc aids to do is coagulate the proteins together (which also helps if you cool the wort quicker I believe) If you can leave this behind in the kettle great, if some gets in your brew do not sweat it.. Tbh it is difficult to keep out anyway.

You will find unlike brewing with kits say you will generally have a lot more sediment at the bottom of your FV

The proteins are helped to coagulate by the Irish moss/whirfloc/Protofloc, and this helps it to drop to the bottom. Any that gets into the FV will also drop to the bottom. It's normal. You want it to drop out, it creates clear beer.

I too have the Peco Electrim boiler from HBC. The first time I used it for the Hobble Wobble kit the tap got blocked by hop leaves and other guff so I bailed out most of the wort with a sanitised jug and poured the wort through a sanitised sieve lined with muslin. This worked well and the amount of sediment left in the FV is not too bad.

The second time I did a smaller 10 L batch in the boiler but put my hops in large hop bags for the boil. The tap didn't bung up this time but I still ran the wort through the muslin lined sieve.

Thanks for the help so far. Due to get this next week sometime - they're saying due to massive demand they're waiting on chillers coming through before they can ship out the kits.

One more question - what exactly will i need to get the copper wort chiller working? is it just a case of buying any old hose, chop it in two and attach with jubilee clips? I'd probably run it from my garden tap outputing to the sink.

Back