Types of bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoatboy

Reaction score
Hello

As the brew keeps brewing our eyes look to the future to bottles.

I've started to save up my empty hobgoblin bottles.

Are there any other types of bottles adequate for beer conditioning?

For example I have a Stowford cider bottle in front of me and a non alcoholic Erdinger bottle.

Are these sufficient to condition beer in?

Aren't Hobgoblin bottles a right pain in the backside to cap? I believe Bench Cappers work with them OK, but the hand held lever thingys struggle. I'd have a go now mate with your capper before you save any more MTs. Good Luck!
I've scavenged dozens upon dozens of Bulmers and Magners pint bottles. Suit me perfect.

Aren't Hobgoblin bottles a right pain in the backside to cap? I believe Bench Cappers work with them OK, but the hand held lever thingys struggle. I'd have a go now mate with your capper before you save any more MTs. Good Luck!
I've scavenged dozens upon dozens of Bulmers and Magners pint bottles. Suit me perfect.

+1
lots of threads on the forum about hobgobo bottles being a PITA to cap unless you've got a bench capper

I don't have a problem with any type of bottle. I use a bench capper. I just go down my local and take their empties

I'm currently at 35 Grolsch bottles from my local, just a few more please. When my Wilko Pilsner gets bottled, I want to whack it into Grolsch bottles. Perfect size for Mrs. Bevvied I reckon.

I use Hobgoblin bottles all the time, never found them any harder to cap than any other bottle thb

I collect bottles from my work. I go for Brewdog and Sharps bottles (atlantic and doombar). Brewdog only use a small amount of glue and clean up easily in hot water so that's what I go for for 330ml. Sharps use a foil label and again when heated the glue slides right off for easy cleaning.

I only collect hobgoblin as that is my regular tipple.

Will the non alcoholic bottled be OK?

I'll have a gander at a bench capper

I use Hobgoblin bottles all the time, never found them any harder to cap than any other bottle thb

What capper do you use Steve?
I'm gonna have a Hobgoblin now just to see if my capper can man up for the job of recapping it!

Just had a similar thought to Bevvied. I don't like hobgobo but had a bottle of Black wych the other night and the bottles are the same as far as I can tell.Had a go with my cheapo wilko capper and it capped ok.

Wonder why other people have so much trouble :confused:

What capper do you use Steve?
I'm gonna have a Hobgoblin now just to see if my capper can man up for the job of recapping it!

I dont use a bench capper,tbh i dont no what make it is i bought a job lot of stuff off ebay and my capper was included

Actually, just had another go on the black wych bottle and I did have a little trouble capping it (both times in fact I just thought I hadn't placed the capper on straight the first time). It kind of half capped it then I had to entirely remove the capper then re-do it. But you can cap the wynchwood bottles with a (non-) bench capper

Actually, just had another go on the black wych bottle and I did have a little trouble capping it (both times in fact I just thought I hadn't placed the capper on straight the first time). It kind of half capped it then I had to entirely remove the capper then re-do it. But you can cap the wynchwood bottles with a (non-) bench capper

TMHB MyQul

Aah, thanks anyway Steve.
My capper is either a Wilko or Tesco special, it was a present.
I can understand now why people say it's a pain. Sort of like balancing a ****** up elephant on a sugar cube when it comes to the final nip, or squeeze, if you know what I mean. Wonky and hard for the capper to gain hold due to the bulbous neck, and unless totally level it slips off all squiffy.
Well. It did for me anyways.
Chin up Goaty, you'll get other bottles everywhere. Bars (for the most part) recycle these days, just ask a friendly barmaid. You'll get more than you can carry.

I posted an appeal on Facebook, an offer of some back with beer in them got me the contents of a few friend's recycling boxes.

Aah, thanks anyway Steve.
My capper is either a Wilko or Tesco special, it was a present.
I can understand now why people say it's a pain. Sort of like balancing a ****** up elephant on a sugar cube when it comes to the final nip, or squeeze, if you know what I mean. Wonky and hard for the capper to gain hold due to the bulbous neck, and unless totally level it slips off all squiffy.
Well. It did for me anyways.
Chin up Goaty, you'll get other bottles everywhere. Bars (for the most part) recycle these days, just ask a friendly barmaid. You'll get more than you can carry.

Haha pi**ed up elephant?, ask a friendly barmaid you will get more than you can carry :rofl: dont think it would go down to well with his wife Bevvied

I try to buy German beers in swing tops. I look at the extra quid as an investment in a bottle plus the tasty contents.

I've capped a batch or two and soon gave up. Went to small kegs and swing tops only.

Latest posts

Back