Types of bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used a cheap Tesco capper for a few batches, it works OK with only a very few failures, but the last batch was a nightmare - I have a bulging disc in my back and pressing down on the handles caused eye-watering shooting pains up my spine.
I will have to invest in a bench capper when my current beer stocks get low.

I want to recycle the bottles I drink from - which to be honest is quite a lot.

:drink:

the capper is on it's way.

I do have some PET bottles, but I don't want to be giving out 1 litre of my hard earned beer at a time :razz:

i got a good collection at the moment, which I'm sure will be growing by the time bottling day comes.

as a side note, what on earth do stowford cider use to stick their labels to the bottles?!??!??!

most of my hobgoblin/erdinger bottles, the label and glue came off very easily after a few mins hot water.

The stowford one survive most of last night in the sink as well as a trip through the dish washer. I did get the label off, but there is still a lot of glue to shift.

Same problem for me, I rang them and was on hold for an hour. They told me I had to ring them for an update when the order confirmation explicitly states they will contact you if there is a problem with your order. This was after they ignored my emails. This morning they sent me an email asking me to review said bottles, some 2 weeks before they come back in stock, so I slagged them off on Twitter for a bit, they responded for that pretty sharpish so I know when the order comes in 5 cases are mine, all mine!

Allegedly anyway, I'll believe it if they ever turn up.

Demig

I picked up 2 500ml swing top bottles of heifweizen at aldi yesterday at £1.79 each. It wasn't bad. Think its a seasonal product for them though.

Same problem for me, I rang them and was on hold for an hour. They told me I had to ring them for an update when the order confirmation explicitly states they will contact you if there is a problem with your order. This was after they ignored my emails. This morning they sent me an email asking me to review said bottles, some 2 weeks before they come back in stock, so I slagged them off on Twitter for a bit, they responded for that pretty sharpish so I know when the order comes in 5 cases are mine, all mine!

Demig

Waited six weeks for mine, then they said they were out of stock. I harangued them on twitter as well, and they bottles arrived a few days later. Pretty hopeless customer service really...

Worth going into your local The Range shop (if you have one nearby). I managed to pick up a box of bottles from the Glasgow branch after folk on here mentioned they were having problems getting them delivered.

First time I used hobgoblin bottles I thought `what's all the fuss about' - I've got an antique Boots brand 2 lever capper. Then last brew I had a right job doing them.
I've also got an ancient hammer on capper which will obviously work ok with them once you get past the idea of hitting your bottles with a hammer!:lol:
As to labels - I started collecting labels a bit ago (yeah I know, big kid right?) - some almost fall off (Abbot for example), some look like they should but have been glued on with some kind of hot melt glue - filling the bottles with boiling water helps, and the plastic labels, given the boiling water treatment peel off easily but leave the glue behind. If Iwant to keep the bottles I use white spirit to remove it but it's still not easy even when using a solvent.

Demig

I was going to sign up to twitter until I read your last sentence :-(
Looks like another hour on hold trying to get my money back
#theRAnGE :rolleyes:

I want to recycle the bottles I drink from - which to be honest is quite a lot.

:drink:

the capper is on it's way.

I do have some PET bottles, but I don't want to be giving out 1 litre of my hard earned beer at a time :razz:

i got a good collection at the moment, which I'm sure will be growing by the time bottling day comes.

as a side note, what on earth do stowford cider use to stick their labels to the bottles?!??!??!

most of my hobgoblin/erdinger bottles, the label and glue came off very easily after a few mins hot water.

The stowford one survive most of last night in the sink as well as a trip through the dish washer. I did get the label off, but there is still a lot of glue to shift.

I am currently prepping my bottles ready for a Saturday bottling session and I am having massive massive issues with the glue on some of the bottles. So far Sadlers, Robinsons and St. Austell bottles are a PITA leaving the glue residue on. Why do the need so much? The Greene King bottles are a breeze though as these fall off in the water. The only issue being that I don't really like Greene King beer (Abbot is about the best), and the bloody bottles are clear :nono:

I am currently prepping my bottles ready for a Saturday bottling session and I am having massive massive issues with the glue on some of the bottles. So far Sadlers, Robinsons and St. Austell bottles are a PITA leaving the glue residue on. Why do the need so much? The Greene King bottles are a breeze though as these fall off in the water. The only issue being that I don't really like Greene King beer (Abbot is about the best), and the bloody bottles are clear :nono:

I don't bother removing labels from bottles.

Update :
# TheRAnGE
Had an e mail 9/10 standard...... your order will be delivered in 3 days...
:pray:
Woke up today to 24 swing top bottles!!!
10/10 for packaging
10/10 for product
2/10 for delivery and feedback

Maybe they read thehomebrewforum message board? :cool:

Back