Vermiculite heat jacket finished

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BREWERS DROOP

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just finished my jacket for the mash pot hope it keeps things nice and cosy.

brewpot jacket.jpg

Its easy to make,just wrap the roll around the pot and cut 2 lengths of the silver bubble insulate to the size of the pot,cut a slit around the handles so it fits snug and neat.Then get a mastic gun and seal the edges and leave to set leaving one end open,so you then have in effect a sleeping bag,lay the bag on the floor and fill the bag with Virmiculite until its got at least an inch of coverage then seal the end again with mastic.(i used heat resistant gas sealer mastic) then finally cut one last piece of the bubble wrap which is 3 inches bigger where it meets in the centre,again cut the holes for the handles.Then apply mastic to the back of the piece you have just cut,also make sure you seal the holes with mastic around the handles and glue it to the blanket/bag you have filled with Virmiculite,making sure the outer piece which is cut slightly bigger overlaps at one end only.Once set, wrap around the pot and fix a long strip of self adhesive velcro to the overlap,pull to a tight fit and mark with a feltpen for the other piece of velcro to attach to the overlap, I did add a strip to the top glued into position,and overlapped to hide the cut edge,and same for the bottom,also make sure you seal the holes with mastic around the handles,i did this whilst attached to the pot.And thats it.If you dont have any Virmiculite you could use loft insulation.

That's a belting job that Droopy. I'll be looking at making some sort of insulating jacket for mine (when I get it). Be interested in how much it loses over an hour.

Well this is interesting,an hours gone by,and the temperatures gone up to 145 degree an increase of 13 degrees,what's happening here????

image.jpg

Well the new digital thermometer i got off ebay from china is ****,it doesnt work. Got myself a proper large thermometer from Richies today and the holding temperature of 130 degrees has remained for an hour,so im happy with that.Left the tank for 3 hrs and tested again just to see what the temp would be,it was at 126 degrees.

Latest posts

Back