Hi From Kidderminster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny

Reaction score
Hi there,

Got a homebrew kit for Christmas from wilkos, so far done a barch of wilkos golden ale, coopers lager and now just done a wilko pilsner.
Joined the group to learn more about different brewing ideas.
At the moment I am scratching my head at taking readings of the alcohol percentage using a wilkos hydrometer, haven't got a clue how to take the readings.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

How to read the hydrometer -

hydrometer.jpg

How to work out the ABV - http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

Cheers that makes sense now, couldn't get my head round it 😊

Hey Benny, welcome aboard, I've done the Coopers Lager and the Wilko Pilsner. The Coopers Lager was my first ever brew and left a bit to be desired but certainly got drank, the Wilko Pilsner I did in October and quite liked it (I over did it on the extra fermentables and it was 7.4%, a bit strong really). What have you got planned for your next one?

Hey Benny, welcome aboard, I've done the Coopers Lager and the Wilko Pilsner. The Coopers Lager was my first ever brew and left a bit to be desired but certainly got drank, the Wilko Pilsner I did in October and quite liked it (I over did it on the extra fermentables and it was 7.4%, a bit strong really). What have you got planned for your next one?
Hi Larry, just done the wilkos pilsner today added 1kg of brewing sugar and half kg of light spray malt, got my start reading of 1050 so don't know what strength it will be but is good fun.Have also done a couple of demijohns with alcoholic lemonade after watching YouTube videos.
Will give the coopers IPA ago next to see if its any good, thank you for the welcome.

Benny
Welcome.
Unless you are looking for a real change of direction from the cerveza/lager/pilsner end of the scale, you might not get on too well with the Coopers IPA. Its a very full on malty one-can kit.
I can recommend Coopers Real Ale however, which is quite bitter and sits somewhere in between the two, and with dry hopping and a mini mash is probably going to become my standard brew of choice. Look out for the Tesco sale which is due soon, unless that's it for sales on home brew stuff given the dire straits the Tesco empire currently finds itself.

Benny
Welcome.
Unless you are looking for a real change of direction from the cerveza/lager/pilsner end of the scale, you might not get on too well with the Coopers IPA. Its a very full on malty one-can kit.
I can recommend Coopers Real Ale however, which is quite bitter and sits somewhere in between the two, and with dry hopping and a mini mash is probably going to become my standard brew of choice. Look out for the Tesco sale which is due soon, unless that's it for sales on home brew stuff given the dire straits the Tesco empire currently finds itself.
Hi terrym, thank you for the welcome and the advice, haven't tried dry hopping yet but am up for giving that a go too, will keep an eye out for the teco stuff too.

Back