Cooling method? And, which is cheaper...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamSon

Reaction score
...gas or electric? I'm very happy with brewing small batches ie 5ltr at a time, so I can try out different recipies more often. I just boil on the kitchen hob ATM but was wondering if making a boiler with kettle elements would be more cost effective than using the gas?

Also, is there another method of cooling other than connecting a wort chiller to the tap? I don't want to waste too much water. I tried standing it in the sink but it took way too long to cool.

No chill is the cheapest cooling method as you just let the wort cool natrually, so doesnt cost anything and doesn't use any water. It's what I do

How long does it tend to take to cool? Like I said, I tried just leaving it and it took about 3 hours at least, ended up putting it in the demijohn at 1:30am lol!

How long does it tend to take to cool? Like I said, I tried just leaving it and it took about 3 hours at least, ended up putting it in the demijohn at 1:30am lol!

I transfer my near boiling wort to a no-chill cube (old FV) cover with star saned cling flim and leave it for two days. Although it's usually cool enough to pitch in 24hours.

You need to put ice in the sink with the water to keep it chilled. The easiest method I've found is to pre-freeze bottles of water in the freezer and use those as ice. I can get 15 litres down to temperature in the Belfast sink in 30 - 40 minutes this way.

You need to put ice in the sink with the water to keep it chilled. The easiest method I've found is to pre-freeze bottles of water in the freezer and use those as ice. I can get 15 litres down to temperature in the Belfast sink in 30 - 40 minutes this way.

Top tip, thanks very much.

...gas or electric? I'm very happy with brewing small batches ie 5ltr at a time, so I can try out different recipies more often. I just boil on the kitchen hob ATM but was wondering if making a boiler with kettle elements would be more cost effective than using the gas?

Also, is there another method of cooling other than connecting a wort chiller to the tap? I don't want to waste too much water. I tried standing it in the sink but it took way too long to cool.

I run my spent hot water from my immersion chiller into a water butt in the garden. Although I admit this only really works during the spring/summer.

I tried cooling my first couple of attempts at AG in the sink, and it took ages. So now I just strain the hot wort directly into a sanitised fv and put it in the garage and forget about it for a while.... In this weather if I brew in the morning it's usually down to temperature in the evening. As we head to summer then overnight should do the trick.

(I too do small stove top batches, generally 10-12 litres. I find that these don't take too long to cool, if you aren't standing over them waiting.)

I'am planing to use a large water but and recirculating back in
With a massive lump off ice 5 litre from the freezer
Will it work ? **** it's worth a try, it can't make it hotter :whistle:
20 meters of10 mm copper pipe on eBay £40 inc delivery = double cooling coil

Latest posts

Back