Vinotainers (5/10/20l)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFanatic

Reaction score
Any one have any experience in using Vinotainers. (Wine Boxes)

Sounds and looks tempting rather than having 100's of bottles in storage!

They are apparently reusable. I know 20l is short for a 5 gallon batch but i could always bottle a few as well

They are apparently reusable. I know 20l is short for a 5 gallon batch but i could always bottle a few as well

what wine kit can you reccomend as i have never made from a kit :thumb:

I second Chippy for his recommendation. Mine is still fermenting but already looks and smells better than my previous Cellar 7 brand attempt.

Any advise regarding the wine boxes?

I am sure I have read they are reusable but not 100%

From what I've read they are good for 5-6 uses but I'm sure the frugal amongst us could make it last longer. I'm sure my Dad used to put some homebrew wine in a polypin for "draught" wine when we were away in the caravan.

Here you go, says 5-6 with careful cleaning! http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/5_ltr_Wine_Dispenser_Bag_in_Box.html

Also interested in this as I've thought about making some of the "7 day" wine kits and the idea of putting at least some of it (maybe 2 x 5l) in boxes for near immediate drinking is quite appealing.

I have used all the standard sizes. The 20 litre are very heavy when full so i no longer use that size. 10 litres is managable and the 5 litre size fits nicely in the fridge for white wines. I probably use them around 3 times before getting rid. I store them in trays indoors as a friend told me he had one split.
I also use 5 litre food grade jerry cans for storage and i find these more convenient. The downside of course is that once opened the wine is exposed to the air unlike a vinotainer. Having said that once opened they dont last long anyway :-)

Also interested in this as I've thought about making some of the "7 day" wine kits and the idea of putting at least some of it (maybe 2 x 5l) in boxes for near immediate drinking is quite appealing.

Don't fall for the 7 day sales pitch even in our hot houses in summer they will likely take more than 7 days to ferment then you have to clear the wine before drinking it.

If you are interested in making quick and cheap (but great tasting) wine that you can drink as soon as it is clear have a look at this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

I have used the 20l and reused them at least 20 times. The weakest part is the cardboard, especially the opening. I bought some cheap luggage straps off ebay and wrap one around the whole box each side of the tap and tighten to stop the pressure of the liquid pushing them open. SO much easier than bottles.

Yes I use them all the time. The wine will take longer to mature as it’s in bulk but compared to all the bottle washing they are great

Last edited by a moderator:
Back