Nottingham or 05?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
My next brew is a coopers recipes. ..their latest brew A with extra spraymalt and dry hopped. It asks for US 05 for the yeast but reading up the 05 can give low flocculation and settling in the bottle issues taking several weeks. ..I'm keen to make a crisp clear American style pale and drink it sooner rather than later with maximum hop and minimal fuss. Alternative yeast indicates Nottingham should be OK. .any suggestions please?

Cheers

Clint

Imo if you want something hoppy definitely go worth the us05.. Nottingham is fine but for happier punchier beers it is believe can mute the hops a little. I don't have too many problems with 05 flocculation

They are very similar yeasts with 05 being slightly crisper in taste and Nottingham sticking to the bottom of the bottle better. In terms of taste you would need to be an expert to tell which was used.

They are very similar yeasts with 05 being slightly crisper in taste and Nottingham sticking to the bottom of the bottle better. In terms of taste you would need to be an expert to tell which was used.

Perhaps, but I still maintain (just from personal experience although it may differ from others) if I use Nottingham on a really hoppy Ale they are just a bit numbed by it.

I heard a lot of people say it and didn't believe it at first but I tried it myself and my own experience found it to be true..

Nipped down to Chester Homebrew and picked up the 05, they also had the Nottingham but advised the 05. My bottling and brewing has gone out the window today having had a few things to sort out...

Cheers

Clint

If you want clean and crisp then I think US-05 is the way to go. It is very neutral but I have found that it forms a powdery sediment which can get kicked up into suspension easily.

Nottingham is very reliable and if you get it from Wilko in the form of their Girvan Ale yeast it is also very cheap.

I think Nottingham is also a very neutral yeast and I wouldn't say that it dulls hop flavour, rather it does have a bit more yeast character which can take away from the emphasis on the hops. In particular I find Nottingham can leave a slightly rounder, smoother mouth feel to a beer where as US-05 is clean and crisp all the way.

I've still made some great hoppy beers with Nottingham and would be happy to pretty much use them interchangeably.

Nottingham definitely wins on flocculation and sticking to the bottom of a bottle.

Hello mate . Have done 2 brews split into 2, using both yeasts. One a porter and one a hoppy american amber.Both quite the same to start off with but if you can leave a bit longer, the notty on the porter is sublime, getting more coffee notes and smother mouth feel. With the 05, the flavours have diminished quite a bit and tasted harsher.With the amber, the 05 has still kept a bit of a hoppy punch and tasted really smooth, but the notty lost a bit and tasted a bit harsher. if that helps. thumbs up for 05 on a pale ale .

If you want clean and crisp then I think US-05 is the way to go. It is very neutral but I have found that it forms a powdery sediment which can get kicked up into suspension easily.

Nottingham is very reliable and if you get it from Wilko in the form of their Girvan Ale yeast it is also very cheap.

I think Nottingham is also a very neutral yeast and I wouldn't say that it dulls hop flavour, rather it does have a bit more yeast character which can take away from the emphasis on the hops. In particular I find Nottingham can leave a slightly rounder, smoother mouth feel to a beer where as US-05 is clean and crisp all the way.

I've still made some great hoppy beers with Nottingham and would be happy to pretty much use them interchangeably.

Nottingham definitely wins on flocculation and sticking to the bottom of a bottle.
Thats a big issue if you are bottling your beers.

Bottling I shall...what about finings? Too late to change as this is cooling in the sink...didn't start bottling the Admirals Reserve til late then decided to clean up,sterilise and fill the fv straight away. Advised by the malt miller to boil my spray malt as I think it's repackaged. .which I did and was getting along fine until the phone rang at the point I picked it up the pan decided to boil over...what a pigs bottom! Only lost a tiny bit..

Cheers

Clint

...actually not too late as I haven't pitched yet (what am I on about?)..I do have a wilko gervin in the cupboard...05 it was...

Back