Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Totally Tropical Pale

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 30-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #21
pvt_ak
Budding Brewer !

Liked 326 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Totally Tropical Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven945 View Post
Got my ingredients for a 12l brew of this. £33 for hops and yeast! :/ But I’ll have a fair chunk of the hops left over because I got 100g of each. Yeast Bay Vermont yeast is sitting on the stir plate, hopefully to brew on Wednesday if this yeast gets done as quickly as it promises to.

Good man. Will be interesting to see how yours turns out with the YBV yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 30-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #22
sven945

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah, i’m looking forward to it. I was tempted by the YB Funktown, which seems to be a blend of Vermont and WLP644 Trois yeast. Maybe for another brew!

Old 04-11-2017, 12:26 AM   #23
sven945

I brewed this today, and added Yeast Bay Vermont Ale Yeast. I had a taste of the “beer” from the yeast starter and it had a delicious pineapple taste. I reached 1.060 in the brew which I was impressed with, since I’ve started being careful with getting too much gunk into the fermenter. I do BIAB, and I’ve started pouring the cooled wort through the cleaned and boiled grain bag to try and filter it before going into the FV.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #24
pvt_ak
Budding Brewer !

Bottled up. And for the first time , pineapple bouncing out the bottle .
Looking forward to this carbonating and supping a chilled one.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #25
sven945

Pleased that you’ve got pineapple even using the US05 Yeast. I tasted my YB Vermont starter before pitching and that was overwhelmingly pineappley so I suspect the finished beer will be overwhelmingly so. I’m approaching 3 days fermenting and I really want to taste it! I’ll probably sample after 5 days to see how it’s going then probably increase the temperature slightly. Then maybe dry hop after a couple more days.

I hope both our brews live up to expectations! I’m already working out what to brew next. Perhaps the banoffee weizenbock from the same book. Something more weather appropriate.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #26
pvt_ak
Budding Brewer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven945 View Post
Pleased that you’ve got pineapple even using the US05 Yeast. I tasted my YB Vermont starter before pitching and that was overwhelmingly pineappley so I suspect the finished beer will be overwhelmingly so. I’m approaching 3 days fermenting and I really want to taste it! I’ll probably sample after 5 days to see how it’s going then probably increase the temperature slightly. Then maybe dry hop after a couple more days.

I hope both our brews live up to expectations! I’m already working out what to brew next. Perhaps the banoffee weizenbock from the same book. Something more weather appropriate.

I’ve got to admit , the few times I’ve used US05 I’ve not been overly impressed !

The Banoffee Weizenbock does look good

Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #27
pvt_ak
Budding Brewer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt_ak View Post
I’ve got to admit , the few times I’ve used US05 I’ve not been overly impressed !

The Banoffee Weizenbock does look good

Had a bottle of this tonight. Fricking loving it . Can’t wait for another 3-4 weeks , I think this one is going to be much better than I thought !
How’s yours coming on ?

Old 13-11-2017, 01:00 AM   #28
sven945

Glad to hear it! Yours might be at its best in a week maybe? With the amount of hops in this it’s only going to lose the character after carbonation levels are reached. I’ve not dry hopped mine yet. I was intending to do a second gravity reading tonight but I ended up drinking a bit too much of other beers so I’ll save it until tomorrow!

Old 18-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #29
Scott33b

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tied it once. Really nice. Brilliant book, well written and in layman’s terms.

Old 26-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #30
krispn

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I've got some NZ hops in the freezer and was wondering if these would be a suitable substitue for the Amarillo? I defo have Motueka and Wakatu I think off the top of my head. I'm gonna make the Totally tropical Pale Ale next week after this run of night shift ends. Not sure if folk have paired Motueka and Citra but I'd be interested to hear if you think its a good combo and in what sort of ratios. The TTA recipe calls for a heap of Amarillo as a dry hop. I'd rather use up one or both of my NZ hops first before buying another 100g bag if I can - I tend to do small batches so while I'm likely to use most of a 100g bag of Citra in this one (then maybe do a SMaSH with the rest) I'd really like to make use of these others NZ hops first. Starting to accumulate hops in the freezer!

Thanks for any info!

Conditioning:

Drinking:
Helles Lager
Winter Stout