Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > What's the most you've paid for a beer?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 954 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Default What's the most you've paid for a beer?

The Cloudwater thread got me wondering about beer prices and thinking of what I've paid over the years, so just wondering what's the most expensive beer you bought?

For me it was probably £15 for a bottle of oak aged La Trappe batch 21 in a bar in Belfast. Certainly overpriced, but I didn't mind so much because it was a fantastic beer!

Old 02-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Gunge

Liked 920 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1036

About £3. Never again, robbing bleeders.
Chippy_Tea Likes This 
Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
IainM

Liked 802 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 372

In a bar it's probably some Belgian beer, I'd guess a Gueze, but those were large bottles shared with the table so don't count. I paid £9 for half a pint of BORIS the Crusher Russian Imperial Stout in a bar in London, and it was very good. Most I've spent in a shop was probably £8 for a 100% brett black IPA imported from America. It was disgusting, what a waste of money.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Linalmeemow

Liked 424 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Most in a bottle shop - 12 euros for a Westvleteren 12. Lovely beer, probably worth £3-4 at the most though. Glad I tried it though, just so I can say I have.

Most for a pint - £5 or so for an American wheat beer in Brewdog. I'd just made one and wanted to see how it compared. It was very underwhelming, though I think my expectations were unreasonably high. For that price I was expecting it to make me poo golden eggs or give me a handjob or something. My American wheat was there or thereabouts and it cost me 30p a pint to make.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Sadfield

Liked 429 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quite often pay £20-25 for 750ml bottles of RIS, big IPAs, Gueuze. These are for bottle shares with friends who do likewise, so it ends up £20-25 towards a night sharing big, amazing beers with friends, which isn't so bad. Last one was a bottle of De Cam Oud Gueuze.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Old 02-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Nice looking pub in central London, chalk board with "Doom Bar" on it 6 quid a pint.

I reluctantly say yes, and to my horror the barman reaches down into a fridge and pulls out a bottle.....

Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Ajhutch

Liked 378 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 474

After a black tie dinner at a swanky London hotel I bought two bottles of Becks for £16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale

Old 02-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
MickDundee

Liked 560 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellm View Post
Nice looking pub in central London, chalk board with "Doom Bar" on it 6 quid a pint.

I reluctantly say yes, and to my horror the barman reaches down into a fridge and pulls out a bottle.....
It’s even overpriced at the £2.25 a pint they charge in my local ‘Spoons.

Make an amber ale, don’t add enough hops and ferment it too high, and you’ll get Doom Bar

Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
IainM

Liked 802 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhutch View Post
After a black tie dinner at a swanky London hotel I bought two bottles of Becks for £16
I thought £8 for a Becks took the prize for the most paid for the worst beer, but I think I topped it today. I was in Jordan and drank a beer named Philadelphia, also the former name of the capital city, Amman:

An eye-watering $10 for the can, it was so insipid that even the lingering nastiness was tolerable. To be honest I was amazed that beer was even brewed and sold in a 94% Muslim country, and a devout one at that. Apparently they have a long tradition of brewing, including some wines of critical acclaim. This beer won't win any critical acclaim though. I didn't notice when taking the photo the ubiquitous portrait of King Abdullah II in the background. A bit freaky seeing them all over the place. I was glad to get back over the boarder to Israel where I can pick up a bottle of Weihenstephaner hefeweisen for less than it costs in the UK
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
Ajhutch

Liked 378 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 474

But it says it's a quality lager!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale