1/2” hose to ball lock disconnect ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a bit stuck (again)

In a moment of excess a few months ago I purchased a brewing pump, with cam locks and half inch hose. Lots of things I’d like to use it for but I’d like to use it for closed transfer to kegs as well. The problem is how to go from silicone 1/2” hose to a ball lock disconnect.

I need to rig something together this really so ideally a screwfix or tool station product I can pick up locally?? If I get really stuck I might just try crimping it on a piece of 3/8 MTPE tubing but a longer term solution would be better ❤️.

I use a length of 3/8 beer hose with beer ball lock (barbed) at one end and 1/2 BSP female cam lock and 1/2 BSP barbed fitting the other.
B7874F3E-D464-4496-8D98-FADF4B674A85.jpeg

It'll work, i use it to transfer from my gf fermenter to kegs. If you need higher pressure you might want a straight piece like this:
https://www.aquacure.co.uk/push-fit-connectors/john-guest-tube-to-hose-stems(I didn't check the size, I've put the link there for the photo)
Oh thank you 😊 - I think I’m the longer term that’s exactly what I need.

In the meantime I’ve gone with a bit of a fudge fix. I cut a small length of 3/8” tube, and a shorter length of the silicone hose from my old brewzilla, which fit over one another then combined snugly fit in the 1/2” silicone tube, all secured with a cable tie 🙈. Heath Robinson would have been proud 😝.
81EBE47A-C9AA-48A8-B875-251DB51BA795.jpeg

C9E87922-4D75-4078-89F3-4424FB24BC59.jpeg

Your fudge was along the lines of my pending suggestion.

Be aware that silicon tubing is very oxygen permeable and you'd be better to step up some beer line ideally evabarrier tubing to fit the camlock as per TETB

You are intending to use this for closed transfers under pressure?

If so why can't you get this working with a closed syphon and balanced gas save yourself the contamination, cleaning, oxygen ingress, cavitation and foaming that could occur with the addition of a pump?

Be aware that silicon tubing is very oxygen permeable and you'd be better to step up some beer line ideally evabarrier tubing to fit the camlock as per TETB

Tmm had a video about it, the silicone tubes sold nowadays at homebrew stores, are completely fit for our purposes, you don't have to worry about oxygen.

You are intending to use this for closed transfers under pressure?

If so why can't you get this working with a closed syphon and balanced gas save yourself the contamination, cleaning, oxygen ingress, cavitation and foaming that could occur with the addition of a pump?
It's not a completely closed transfer as it will in part be a syphon out of a fermenter to prime the pump but the fermenter is too large and too low to move when full so will need to be pumped. I'm going to flood the headspace with CO2 while pumping out of it. As to why... well I've these new larger fermenters I can't really lift when full, and I'm trying to move to more pumped type process as someday I'd like to step up further in volume.

I'm thinking of buying several of the spare caps for the fermenters, adapting a lower one for a thermowell, and a top one with a floating dip tube and two ball lock posts. It's a magnetic coupled pump with restriction on the outflow so cavitation shouldn't I think be a problem. Anyway, if you haven't noticed I keep making life difficult for myself as well 😜 .

Latest posts

Back