10 gallon cooler HLT heater element.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackiwoods

Reaction score
Is it possible to use just a normal kettle element to heat 7-8 gallons of water in a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler. I really dont want to be messing with electrics. Many thanks

The hole for the tap on my IGLOO (similar to rubbermaid) is only half the size of that needed for an element, and too near the bottom. (heat problem might melt the plastic). And if you made a new hole the element thread wouldnt reach through the insulation as its too thick.?

Very good idea to use an insulated vessel. :thumb: :thumb: If I was to go shiney I would probably use thermo pots for all my vessels.

I find with 12 gallons I can probably heat it up to mash temps with one element but in the kettle I need two to get it up to a rolling boil but only one to maintain.

Given you are using only 7 gallons and it is insulated it will probably be OK however I would be tempted to use two a:- because it will heat up quicker and b:- you have a backup if one breaks which in my experience they do I lost one on each of my HLT and kettle last brewday. :evil: :evil:

Insulated shiny YES, Foam insulated plastic NO. Once you have cut a hole through the plastic then removed a bit of insulation to get the element to the inner skin you may as well just use a cheap bin.

Well thanks for all your replies people.

I have a couple of insulated rubbermaid type vessels so I'm gonna test it. I might look into using a heater element thats more powerful and reliable but can still be plugged in to a normal home plug socket. Anyone any ideas? If not I'll search the forum.

Oddjiver - I was thinking of using a hollow threaded bar to butt up to the threaded part already on the element. That I think might work. I'm about to test it out with my PT100 temp prob. I'll take pics of my experiment.

how about grabing an ebay 50l X mango barrel for £11 delivered for a good volume HLT, then u can use the rubbermaid tub without loosing any insulation as a good heat retaining tun.. 10 US gallons is only 37l..

you can insulate a boil vessel with old bubblewrap and £shop camping mats and space blankets cheaply and easily. just like keeping people warm, layers is the answer to effective insulation ;)

Back