1st fermentation time advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sealover1

Reaction score
Hi guys I just done a lager brew and about half way through enjoying it.

now and want start a new one and wanted to know how long I can keep a new brew in the fermentation bucket as I only have so many bottles and they may not be empty for a month or so will have no bottles to do the 2nd fermentation in until I have finished drinking my last brew.

don't want to run out now do I and I don't have room for another 40 odd bottles lol

Boxes of beer around the house is one of the crosses we have to bear. SWMBO's not too bad with it now as she's started enjoying my beer (not good) and the WOW. You can get 40 500ml PET plastic bottles on ebay for £13.75 with free delivery:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Empty-Bro...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item5b0630cf39

have you used these bottles?

and if so are they ok?

i went to order 120 and was 9 quid postage

so for me it was cheaper to get oxbars from tesco

My Missus drinks 500ml and 1ltr bottles of fizzy water and I bought a big red flip top bin from tesco for six quid for her to dump them in. I'm currently about 30 litres in 'credit' so need to bottle my latest brew.

cheers guys so about a month or so then is the max?

plastic bottles I'm not to keen on as I found in the past with other drinks it taints the flavour and does not look so pleasing to the eye lol

I use the pop off top glass bottles and they look good and feel good if you know my meaning.

I don't have room for another 40 odd bottles lol

You don't need another 40 bottles. Half that would do to ensure a continuous beer supply.
Lets say you've just started drinking your first kit. Put the next one in the FV now. By the time you've drunk 20 bottles it'll be ready to bottle - so you've got 20 empties + 20 extras. So bottle it and by the time it's ready to drink you'll have finished the last of the first kit. Put the next kit on, and so on...

You don't need another 40 bottles. Half that would do to ensure a continuous beer supply.
Lets say you've just started drinking your first kit. Put the next one in the FV now. By the time you've drunk 20 bottles it'll be ready to bottle - so you've got 20 empties + 20 extras. So bottle it and by the time it's ready to drink you'll have finished the last of the first kit. Put the next kit on, and so on...

that's true and if I've not finished its a dam good excuse to drink the an extra few lol

I like glass too, but I have a fair bit of storage space and a ready supply of free glass bottles so I've got loads. However I agree if you're a regular drinker then 60 will do it, 80 definitely.

Leaving a brew in the FV for a month is fine, in fact a good thing generally to leave this long or even longer. Just keep the temperature right and lid sealed well when fermentation slows/finishes to minimise infections.

I like glass too, but I have a fair bit of storage space and a ready supply of free glass bottles so I've got loads. However I agree if you're a regular drinker then 60 will do it, 80 definitely.

Leaving a brew in the FV for a month is fine, in fact a good thing generally to leave this long or even longer. Just keep the temperature right and lid sealed well when fermentation slows/finishes to minimise infections.

so do you need an address for when you have to many free glass bottles lol??

have you used these bottles?

and if so are they ok?

i went to order 120 and was 9 quid postage

so for me it was cheaper to get oxbars from tesco

Niman I've got about 160 of these bottles and some I'm using for the third or fourth time with no problem, and they fit in the fridge just fine. On the subject of the fridge, I'm just in from work and my boys have been calling Daddy from the fridge since Wednesday. Well, daddy's home and he's thirsty!!!

the part of home brew is about how it looks as well as tastes to me and a lot of my mates wont drink from a plastic bottle and I don't blame um.. ya cant beat a good pop off glass Grolsch lager bottle type ;)

Niman I've got about 160 of these bottles and some I'm using for the third or fourth time with no problem, and they fit in the fridge just fine. On the subject of the fridge, I'm just in from work and my boys have been calling Daddy from the fridge since Wednesday. Well, daddy's home and he's thirsty!!!

Ta for the reply..have hummed anh hahd a few times about buying from ebay but never commited..the link u posted would have been very good value had i been giventhe option of free postage.

Cant beat the plastic bottles for storage when empty.

the part of home brew is about how it looks as well as tastes to me and a lot of my mates wont drink from a plastic bottle and I don't blame um.. ya cant beat a good pop off glass Grolsch lager bottle type ;)

They are very attractive, but not overly practical.

I was given 12 at Xmas and could only find a use for them as late as the 18th of April. They hold a "Blushing Blonde" pale ale made with a partial mash and the last of the blackberries from 2014's fabulous harvest.

They just take up space as well.
Plus, if ever you felt the urge to keep the beer for a long time - it will be in these.
And - they look like a work of art and I want them to be perfectly clear before I open one. Still some material in suspension, hovering in mid bottle.

No such nonsense with the same beer in PET bottles. Nice fruity taste and a clean one at that from the Safale 05 yeast I've been using for some time.

They are very attractive, but not overly practical.

I was given 12 at Xmas and could only find a use for them as late as the 18th of April. They hold a "Blushing Blonde" pale ale made with a partial mash and the last of the blackberries from 2014's fabulous harvest.

They just take up space as well.
Plus, if ever you felt the urge to keep the beer for a long time - it will be in these.
And - they look like a work of art and I want them to be perfectly clear before I open one. Still some material in suspension, hovering in mid bottle.

No such nonsense with the same beer in PET bottles. Nice fruity taste and a clean one at that from the Safale 05 yeast I've been using for some time.

its ok if you like a fruity plastic taste I guess lol but its not for me I wont even buy a pint at the bar in plastic glasses when they try to sell them at events.

A nice glass of beer or bottle of beer will always be the only way for me :thumb:

well I got my 30 new glass bottles 2 days ago so all good now. put my brew in the FV last sat and not heard any bubbles in a day or so now do you think its ready to go into bottles for the 2nd fermentation if its not bubbling anymore??

Latest posts

Back