A career in a brewery...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have thought you would have to demonstrate your enthusiasm for and knowledge of brewing. If someone came knocking on my door with lots of enthusiasm and knowledge then if i had a vacancy I would be interested, however i would want someone who was willing to learn and i would like to know that they would fit in and do things the way i did things, that is important for any business IMHO.

:thumb:

Good idea.

Not easy if you have no track record, What I did was I got involved with CAMRA and the organizing of Beer Festivals. This gave me access to a few friendly brewers. Taking bacon sarnies into the brewery in exchange for a bit of advice here and there with your own brews is good for continuity, gives you credibility that you know your stuff especialy if you take in quality homebrew. This then moved to the occasional purchase of malt and hops. You have to remember that being a full time brewer, especially if a one man band, is a lonely job, you are stuck in a draughty, cold brewery for long periods with only fermenters, yeast and hops for companionship...Within a few weeks I was invited to a brewday or two...This is when you need to show your real enthusiasm and energy for brewing, offer to muck out the mash tun, shift some barrels, get the kettle on at opportune moments and do it with a smile and a cheery whistle.

When trust has been gained, offer to do some sales (always a good angle), an easy job to do if you are lucky enough to find a gem of a brewer, just plenty of shoe leather, pressing the flesh of pubs and clubs (if involved with CAMRA, you will find this a bit easier).

Within time, you will find that the extra sales has meant that the once lonely brewer has extra deliveries to do and more brewing...he or she will need more help to cope with the demand and the tightening brewing schedules....enter the knight in shining armour....You!! :hat: then :drunk:

After then you will want your own brews and your own brewery...

Latest posts

Back