A message to you Rudi...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreweBrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Sunday: My first time using Dr Rudi hops, but I've had single hop a lager made with them so I thought I'd make a SMaSH to see what they're like. They're a dual purpose variety with high alphas - 12.2% in this case.

3.8kg of Minch malt gave me an OG of 1.044. Had a stuck mash!!! I've not had a stuck mash in ages! I think I've over stirred tbh.

Followed my normal hop intervals of 60, 20 and 5 minutes. Plus a 30min steep at 80degC. Total: 46IBU. Perfect for my tastes.

Pitched a cultured-up WLP001 from a previous brew.

Looking forward to see what it's like.

Dave

I missed this brewday post Dave.

I've always thought this hop had a stupid name and it kind of put me off using it. What's it mean to be like?

No probs mate. I try to brew once a week, so don't post all my brew days here; just the more interesting ones. I think it's named after the bloke who bred them. There's more info here: http://ychhops.com/varieties/dr-rudi

It's a good site that one.

It's probably ready for bottling tomorrow, but it has smelt pretty good whilst fermenting. I got a slight orangey whiff when I put my nose in. Not a huge citrus hit like Citra or Mosaic (my personal favourite!)

Dave

No probs mate. I try to brew once a week, so don't post all my brew days here; just the more interesting ones. I think it's named after the bloke who bred them. There's more info here: http://ychhops.com/varieties/dr-rudi

It's a good site that one.

It's probably ready for bottling tomorrow, but it has smelt pretty good whilst fermenting. I got a slight orangey whiff when I put my nose in. Not a huge citrus hit like Citra or Mosaic (my personal favourite!)

Dave
Once a week? Lucky bleeder. I do about 8-10 a year.

What size batches are you doing? You must have enough beer to sink a ship at that rate!

Not sure Dr rudi will make my to do list anytime soon tbh. Maybe if yours turns out a blinder though!

What size batches are you doing? You must have enough beer to sink a ship at that rate!

Not sure Dr rudi will make my to do list anytime soon tbh. Maybe if yours turns out a blinder though!

I've started brewing each week too. The plan is to fill all my bottles/growlers/mini kegs (I've got enough for about 5 x 20L brews worth) then just brew when need to keep everything filled up

Haha! Yes it's true! The plan is to always have something going in the fermenter. I have three 5 gal fermenters, one of which is always empty as a bottling bucket. And three 3 gal ones, but they're for specials and mostly weighing out grain. I do give a bit away though. It's frightening how quickly you can get through a 23L batch! Especially when your wife is a craft beer fan as well!

Dave

Just bottled this one, so we'll see what it's like a week or two. It smells like it'd be a great lager hop if you see what I mean. No surprise really as it was in a lager where I first tasted them.

Dave

Update:

Nice hop this. Although in my opinion it is in no doubt a lager hop, so I'm glad I fermented it at the lower end of WLP001's temperature range. If you want smooth bitterness with a honey and berry-like taste profile then this is a hop you should consider.

Dave

Update:

Nice hop this. Although in my opinion it is in no doubt a lager hop, so I'm glad I fermented it at the lower end of WLP001's temperature range. If you want smooth bitterness with a honey and berry-like taste profile then this is a hop you should consider.

Dave

I really like your desciption of the flavour profile there. I really like the honey flavours you get with EKG, so think honey and berry would be nice. Where did you source these Dr Rudi hops?

Back