AA Emergency Response (boiler cover) sucks balls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Be aware that if you have AA Home Emergency Response cover, they have a very loose definition of 'emergency'.

I have had no heating since Wednesday. Its stuffing freezing out there and not much better in here.

:twisted: :evil:

tell them you have a 6 month old child and its mother staying in the house..... they will be out very quick... :twisted:

ive had a similar experience with the british gas equivalent. unless you can spin them a real sob story its 3-5 days before you get warm again...

They probably think Whatbyou don't need heating in the winter.....

Yea replaced my boiler in the summer last year as the old one was over 22 yrs of age, they couldn't get parts to repair it.
Cost me nearly £3000 but we bit the bullet and replaced it before it actually broke down as sod's law states it would have broke when it was cold !

Hope you get some heating back.....

we were told 15 years ago we needed a new boiler...
just got a new plumber out, said it was just the pump had gone...

never had much trust for 90% of trades men.... just my bad luck really :(

shuda learnt a trade!! :twisted:

similar issues with British Gas cover as well here!

had to wait 5 days with a broken combi boiler.. no heat or water (HLT and boiler paid for themselves!!)

when they came round and had a look we were told boiler was over 10yo and so not covered for replacement and couldnt be fixed.

caughed up for a new one, while being fitteded (not a BG fitter) he said "why you replacing it,its only 6yo... :evil:

Only Praise for the BG service here. When we moved in to our house 23 years ago, it had an old boiler, After a couple of years got a leaflet for Boiler and Central heating cover . . . so took it up. Since then One thermocouple failed, replaced within an hour on a Sunday!, Zone valve Failed (I trod on it, when I was rewiring) replaced within one day.

4 years ago during the annual health check the boiler was condemned (in February!!!) as it was leaking CO, so we replaced it with a boiler supplied by BG fitted within 3 days! It failed last month, and the main board was replaced within a day . . . unfortunately the fan was faulty which blew the new main board, so a new fan and main board was supplied the same day.

Got a local chap in today who spent a good hours poking around inside it before telling me its perfectly repairable.

Compare this AA who send a chap round who spends 5 mins looking at it and then ignored me for the next 4 days.

I also have nothing but praise for BG yet. Been with them all my married life and have their service contract for central heating,plumbing,electrics water and drains..yes it costs a lot, but I've never been without heating, They advised me that parts were scarse for my 22+yr old boiler. We had it replaced by them all within a couple of days mid summer, and its been fine.
Had a pipe burst one Sunday night at 2150 hours by 2245hours their repair man was having cup of tea with us, job done.

I used to work at HomeServe, and if the AA cover is anything like it was at HomeServe, whilst issues like leaking pipes (which are causing damage, and unable to be contained, so not counting external overflows), are deemed an emergency, the boiler cover was breakdown, so even if your circumstances met what would flag you as an vulnerable (say if you were elderly, someone from HomeServe would be out with you within 4 hours, which was the emergency response time, even if the leak wasn't causing damage that wasn't containable), you would still be looking at 3 days at the best end of a timeframe (2 days if you're super lucky and it's an easy fix), as it was always next day appointments, the boiler engineer would have to attend to asses the problem, order the parts, which if ordered early may arrive the next day, but you're looking closer to another day, and then when parts arrive, they can repair it... hopefully (got so many re-attends when I worked there for still broken boilers)

It depends on the jerk or not who gets your docket.

Had a guy come out a few years back tutted to the wife mumbled something about £500 extra, then I got home and all of a sudden he had the new circuit board in the van, fixed under cover in twenty minutes. (Being huge helps)

then I have had blokes who move heaven and earth to get the job done well.

There will always be lazy toe rags in every company.

I have British Gas cover along with the world's most unreliable boiler. Having SWMBO who requires the heating working, medical reasons, we have never been let down by British Gas.

I have even had a temporary boiler fitted while they waited for the parts to repair mine.

I have nothing but praise for them.

I probably didn't make this clear.. infact on a re-read i know i didnt.

The BG cover is not the issue its what they get told by the bloke doing the job. I am sure that the vast majority of people doing the call outs are great, hence the responses of great cover, however if someone is haveing a bad day, not sure what the problem is and reports back to the office xyz, what else can they do bt go on his assesment.

my old mam and dad had bg cover they were told the boiler was banjaxed and they could supply and fit a new one to the existing pipework for £1500, got my mate round, £42quid and one hour later the new pump was fitted and its worked fine for the last two years.....

a local company told me mine was condemned when i moved into my house 15 years ago and they could fit a new system for £5000 called another mate whos corgi registered to have a look, he told me theres bog all wrong apart from a shagged £5 thermocouple, fekkers still working, even though it was stripped out of the ark in distant days of yore

moral? find a good tradesman and be a damn good mate to him!(its amazing how many of the buggers like good beer!) ;)

critch said:
moral? find a good tradesman and be a damn good mate to him!(its amazing how many of the buggers like good beer!) ;)

Yes you really cannot beat a good local tradesman :thumb: been lucky over the years, with one exception, one year at Christmas our heating went off, couldn't get it sorted, but our household insurance cover included 'emergency cover for central heating' a 'phone call and within an hour we'd been visited by BG, the boiler condemmed and we were told it was dangerous.

A neighbours brother was visiting and saw the 'comings and goings' asked what the problem was as the 'engineer' departed, he volunteered to come and have a looksee, again Corgi registered etc. He nipped home for a new thermocoupling, within 15 minutes it was sorted, the boiler was still going strong when we left 5 years later :!:

There was a follow up enquiry by the insurers, 3 independent gas fitters examined the boiler and they all agreed the boiler was fine and shouldn't have been condemmed, the insurers changed their contract.

Our local man, Mark is excellent, does a good job and services most of the central heating systems etc in the village, turns out at all sorts of odd hours and doesn't charge daft money :thumb:

We've always been treated well by BG - we have a weird thermal store tank in the airing cupboard (all 7 foot tall of it) and it started leaking a while ago. Although we were without water for a while as they had to get it specially made, it was covered by the plumbing part of the contract and I caught a glimpse of the invoice - £1400. Needless to say the £20 a month seemed pretty inconsequential at that point.

They've also always come out the same day when we've had a boiler failure. Maybe we are just lucky, but I'm happy with their responses.

Their boiler salesman was a different matter though - total commission-cowboy.

Latest posts

Back