About to start a coopers stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyDob

Reaction score
Evening all,

Just about to start my second kit which is a cooper stout after a reasonable successful first brew. Got a couple of questions before I start that I am sure you all will be able to help with :)

I have 500g or Medium Spray Malt and 1kg brewing sugar and intended to put all the MSM and only 500g of the brewing sugar as I did not want to mess with the kit instructions too much, but then I found this http://www.geocities.com/lesjudith/Customize/CustomizeCoopers.html which has a couple of recipes for customising the stout. They see to put more than 1kg of sugar equivalent in, so I am now wondering if I should put all the sugar and MSM in. I was also going to replace the yeast in the kit with SO4 as everyone raves about it, but then that site also recommends using two packets of yeast to improve the stout, I happen to have two packets of SO4 so again it is an option

I am partial to the odd Guinness or two :drink: and whilst I know a kit will not be thick and smooth like Guinness, any advice to make the kit better with the above ingredients would be appreciated, and any general stout brewing advice would be welcome.

cheers all :thumb:

500g or Medium Spray Malt and 500g of the brewing sugar would seem ideal

Just do it.

more malt = more 'body/mouth feel' (+more alcohol)
More sugar = less 'body/mouth feel' (+more alcohol)

To be honest, anything beyond 5% alcohol is not a very good session beer, unless you are a serious alky,

Cheers trunky def not an alky and to be honest % is low down my priorities would prefer the maximise the taste! so will stick with a 50:50 1kg mix :)

cheers davesiv,

Not too sure about the coffee taste to be honest :)

just purchased a can of dark malt extract liquid cheap because it was dented, trying to work out if i can use that instead of sugar?

Back