Adding Gelatine Any Suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a brew which I want to keg plus a few bottles.

As it is in an Allrounder at about 10psi my go to technique is to fill a corny with Starsan, connect gas and pump out Starsan via a party tap. I then connect the Allrounder to the corny fluid out and the party tap to the gas in plus gas to the Allrounder.

By releasing the gas via the party tap I fill the corny and when the beer reaches the gas in dip tube it comes out of the party tap and I fill bottles with the remainder of the beer. All easy.

So on this brew I am going to try adding gelatine. It’s only as an experiment as I usually have the patience to let my beer clear over time. So here’s the thing, can anyone think how I can add the gelatine without compromising the oxygen free process I now have?

I am likely to drop back to the old process of flushing the corny with CO2 after having added the gelatine and then return to the above procedure. However, I do know that this would introduce a little oxygen as you can’t flush it all, not really an issue at all, but I am annoyed I can’t find a solution.

Any bright ideas?

I reckon you can get pretty close to oxygen free with carb caps. I’ve not tried it but was thinking about it and came across this The Amazing Carbonation Cap

Basically you add your gelatine solution to a pet bottle, purge that with co2 using a carb cap, make sure the pressure in the bottle is greater than that in the fermenter and connect. If I plan ahead and get the carb caps I might try it sometime but I’m not that fussed about clear beer so I don’t know if I’ll persevere with gelatin anyway.

I fine with gelatine in the fermenter. After 24-48hrs you can then just siphon the beer off the top through direct transfer as you describe. Get the fermented wort nice and cold then gently stir in your gelatine solution - I find 1/2 tsp to 150ml boiled water cooled to around 65-70 degrees works for my 19L batches athumb..

Latest posts

Back