Advice needed on water treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
_water_report_zps95049ffd.jpg

Hi folks,
I've finally managed to find a brief water report for my area.
What kind of additional CRS, gypsum, etc, should I be adding to this? So far I haven't been treating the water other than with a Campden tablet.

Whatever the water report is you should test your alkalinity with a Salifert Alkalinity test kit. Very easy to do, I buy mine from e-bay and e-mail the aquatic firm for a use by date with up to 100 tests I require a long date . I test my brewing water before every brew.
Happy Brewing

Google > Graham's water treatment calculator and test your alkalinity as suggested above.

Hi folks,
I've finally managed to find a brief water report for my area.
What kind of additional CRS, gypsum, etc, should I be adding to this? So far I haven't been treating the water other than with a Campden tablet.

Are you all-grain brewing ? or are you just looking for the taste profile to adjust the mineral content ? If you are going via the extract route, then you won't have any problems, I wouldn't even bother treating the water if that is the case. On the other hand ...

For All Grain, I'm not sure that your water report is going to be too useful, there is no indication of bicarbonate ... if your water does contain bicarbonate on top of the Calcium carbonate then you are going to have difficulties brewing with it. With my very hard water, I resulted to treating it with mineral acid to get the pH into the correct range for mashing and I have since gotten round the problem by using rain water off the roof ... a Dave Line tip. So I basically brew with soft water now and just add a little calcium sulphate . Every thing is hunky dory, no problems with astringent brews, catastrophic extraction rates, which was the case before. :hat:

Depends what style of beer your brewing as different styles call for different treatments. Also water treatment wont make much difference if other things are not spot on Such as mash temp pitching temp ferment temp. So make sure all those are in order first. But I could be wrong as it has been pointed out to me things have moved on since the 1920's.;)

Latest posts

Back