Advice on what exactly to buy to install heating element/tri clamp ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonymartin935

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

I plan to shortly buy a 70l pot for a boiler and plan to drill a hole for installation of a low density heating element and believe this is held in place with a so called tri-clamp item ..which I think is a clamp with hand screw, gaskets and a short tube that fixes between inside outside of the pot (not sure exactly ) . I do not know what exactly I am looking for, to purchase for this install and would appreciate if someone could advise me on sizing and what items I require. Ali express has these items and Alibaba as I am outside UK and doubt it be cost effective to buy from there .

Many thanks.
Toni

It's depends on your heating element, and make your way backwards from that. If you pick a heating element which is 1,5 inches, you pick a fitting what take 1,5 tri clamp, then you'll have a hole size you need to drill.

Anthony if you find the set up you need, can I be a chancer and get you to link me what you buy? I have a spare boiler that id like to add a 1kW element to.

Last edited:
what size would I ideally need ...I see some stating 2x 2.4kw for rolling boil ...initially I do not plan big batches anyway and a controller seems the way to go to save electric bill and control the boil more than a flat out element running .

I assume you mean the Einbrew?

It is expensive, but seems like a great bit of kit.

Inkbird do a prebuilt PID controller, although I think this is a US plug. I'm sure @chopps has one, is that correct on the plug fitting?

Last edited:
what size would I ideally need ...I see some stating 2x 2.4kw for rolling boil ...initially I do not plan big batches anyway and a controller seems the way to go to save electric bill and control the boil more than a flat out element running .
I think 2.4kw for a 50l batch (my assumption on your 70l pot) may be too weak.

You can get power controllers cheap as chips. 20 or 30 quid. Do some review homework, and mount them in a safe place, but theres no way you need to be spending a fortune on one.

That´s what I thought....although I have been reading long 15 page item on the forum ..cannot remember if it´s on this brew forum ...about the this rolling boil and how you can achieve results with lesser intense boiling with partial closure ie. not have lid completely off and running the element at lower wattage. It is an interesting read with non conclusive results ....it seems to get to temp faster and save power overall ...this is off topic yes, so sorry , but it´s relating to the element that´s needed to achieve the boil. In any case a higher wattage with control seems best option and try to get the best price available (buying direct from China for lower priced items works ok ...the bigger stuff does not... with higher postage and taxes that kick in at higher values ). My tupence worth . Currently trying to purchase a 70l boiler from a supplier in EU via China for 118euro delivered with quality tap and temp guage ...they say new stock available Oct ......so I have to wait a few weeks to see if I can buy this pot ..it´s much cheaper than importing myself or from UK plus tax to EU and has the tap and temp guage fitted so I would only need to install/buy the element/clamp ....and the luxury item controller eventually . That is the plan.

Last edited:
For boilers I would recommend a pot which has plenty if headroom so it doesn't overboil at the start. My tendency is to use almost the same headroom as the wort volume (I use a 100l pot for a 52l boil volume.

Although tri clamp is handy, how often do you intend to swap out the element? Mine are fixed (and cheaper). Gives you more choice.

Pot doesnt need to be expensive, as long as it is insulated. Armaflex is great material for this.

I'm quite happy with elements from Dernord.

If you don't mind splashing out a bit (pun intended), there exist cirular elements, which have a lot less density but are pricier.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back