AG on the cheap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
So guys, in a cheapskate and believe brewing is all about beating the big breweries.

So I present the budget AG system.

I'm lucky to have a friend who works for a rather established machining company. So access to tools and such is easy.

I sourced the 'pots' which are liners for pressurised paint spraying pots.

All the copper was donated my another friend who used to be a plumber.

The cooling jacket is of course duct tape :-) but with cardboard that has kiln cotton insulation stuck to it.

It lost 5℃ over the hour. But we have no insulation lid (yet)

I was amazed at how well the chiller worked. Boiling wort to 20℃ in 16 mins. We did feed from the hosepipe and it's been snowing here in brum.

A few kinks we could iron out, but it's our first proper test of what we've made.

All in all we've only spent about 20 quid. Plus a few bottles to 'pay' for the copper and a few fittings and winding the coil.

Finally (I hope)

IMAG2180.jpg

IMAG2169.jpg

IMAG2171.jpg

IMAG2174.jpg

IMAG2172.jpg

IMAG2176.jpg

IMAG2178.jpg

Good stuff! I admire your ingenuity. I'm more of the 'I could do it but I'd probably balls it all up and I can't be bothered so I might as well buy it' School of thought', unfortunately :)

Looks brilliant, very nice setup.

Worth putting a u bend in the tails of the copper wort cooler so they hang over and down from the lip of the boiler pot. If the hose connectors drip a bit you don't want that water dripping into your wort.

Looks brilliant, very nice setup.

Worth putting a u bend in the tails of the copper wort cooler so they hang over and down from the lip of the boiler pot. If the hose connectors drip a bit you don't want that water dripping into your wort.

Good call we just used the pipe from a racking cane. So it just fit over the edge of the boiler. Sorry for the dark photo of the cooler. My mates missus had knocked the light fitting if the ceiling with a towel.

Was amazed that the chiller did so well. Boiling to 20℃ is 15-16 mins or so.

The hop filter is just one of those frying pan splatter covers. And for a quid if it gets mucky can Just buy a new one. The manifold needs a bit of going over with an emery board. And a bit of practice putting it together. But was amazed at the results.

We used all left over stuff so was an experimental brew.

2kg MO
1kg torrified wheat
.5 kg Crystal malt
And a reduced can of wheat malt extract.

Mashed 10 litre. At 70 ish. (Need to buy a good thermometer) sparged with 6 litres.

We're looking and maybe building a sprinkler sparge as we have a spare pot that has a hole and tap fitted. But he's gonna get some kiln cotton and incoperate the pizza tray into a lid for the mash tun.

This is the setup I will be using when I review the hops from get er brewed.

Can't wait. :-)

I'm actually very happy with our efforts.

Oh and we had to do some impromptu soldering of the reducer to fit the hose. Glad I've got friends with garages full of tools and bits :-)

Shameless bump for a starters.

But for those who feel a bit 'handy' the sky's the limit, making your own gives you no worries about taking it apart to improve it.*

*these are sometimes reversed

AG brewing is the way forward to experiment with the view of creating what YOU like.

This kit pictured has evolved a little since and were used to it now.

Just goes to show, where there's a will.....

Good stuff! I admire your ingenuity. I'm more of the 'I could do it but I'd probably balls it all up and I can't be bothered so I might as well buy it' School of thought', unfortunately :)
if its banging a couple of budget kettle elements in a 30l bucket or fitting a SS thermowell through a thermopots insulation the collective wisdom found in here will hold your hand thru any build, i know ive benefitted from it.. So if you have a wee urge Go on Go on Go on, pop your plans thoughts and any doubts in a prospective build thread and im sure you will get all the support needed

Shameless bump (again)

After doing a brew by myself with bags and such, then talking to my mate, where this kit is stored. We're going to get her out again.

The industry I'm in now, I can get access to gas ring burners. The old sturdy iron ones. And bottles of gas to run it.

FREE

this system we built cost next to nothing. I think we can now improve on this considerably. But I think it's still cool!

Sorry chippy, gonna bump this for myself, save searching through my old content.

I intended to update this a while back. For now, let's see everyone's home made efforts.

Edit : Could this maybe moved to a different section of the forum? Haven't been here in a while.

I'm sure it will as there has been quite an upsurge in forumites over lockdown who may well be interested.
I made this lot with my two best mates while I was saving for a wedding. So you could say my spending was on lockdown 😂

Back