AG set up advice please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinleycat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'd like some advice over the planned AG set up please.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100ltr-microb ... 2a342f6ba3
Ideally I'd like something like this and 100litres would be desirable as if I'm doing it I might as well do a few kegs at a time.
Price wise it's more that I want to pay but I am prepared to chuck a fair wedge at it for the perfect set up.
Does this look like a fair price? What else would I need? Is gas a cheaper option than electric? Etc etc...
Thanks in anticipation.
KC :thumb:

K, is there no way you can make it yourself? That's double what you can expect to pay for it if made yourself.
Even if you can't make it yourself have a look at Malt Millers site, at least do some sort of price comparison.
100ltr boiler/HLT Malt Miller £100 x 2 = £200
The mash tun in that ebay link is just a jacketed boiler (no offence intended) so if you can lay your hands on some foil insulation another £100 for another boiler, plus the cost of a full coverage fb £80, so £180.
We're up to £380,
2 x 7.5kw burners from Malt Miller £54
Total £434
The ebay site has a 30 plate 66kw heat exhcnager, you can buy a 30 plate 125kw (better) from malt Miller for £85
Total £519
Add a reg or 2 and some silicone hose and you're probable at £550. If you want site tubes MM does tham to and can fix them, so £33, total £583 with 1 or £616 with 2.

That's a saving of £169 which you can spend on something else....or change to a thermo box mash tun from malt Miller.
Yes there's no temp gauges but they're not too expensive.

All in all well worth looking around ;)

Vossy1 said:
K, is there no way you can make it yourself? That's double what you can expect to pay for it if made yourself.
Even if you can't make it yourself have a look at Malt Millers site, at least do some sort of price comparison.
100ltr boiler/HLT Malt Miller £100 x 2 = £200
The mash tun in that ebay link is just a jacketed boiler (no offence intended) so if you can lay your hands on some foil insulation another £100 for another boiler, plus the cost of a full coverage fb £80, so £180.
We're up to £380,
2 x 7.5kw burners from Malt Miller £54
Total £434
The ebay site has a 30 plate 66kw heat exhcnager, you can buy a 30 plate 125kw (better) from malt Miller for £85
Total £519
Add a reg or 2 and some silicone hose and you're probable at £550. If you want site tubes MM does tham to and can fix them, so £33, total £583 with 1 or £616 with 2.

That's a saving of £169 which you can spend on
something else....or change to a thermo box mash tun from malt Miller.
Yes there's no temp gauges but they're not too expensive.

All in all well worth looking around ;)
The first thing you need to bare in mind is that I'm about as impractical as a human can be.
It's something I would need some help with, and I'm not sure I have that level of support around me.
Fitting site tubes and stuff would be a bit of an ask I think.
The pic on the link is the kind of thing I would aspire to have, but as you point out it could be done for cheaper if I shop about, I guess you pay a premium for a simpler solution??

Back