Alternatives to Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
Hi All

I am a stout fan! Its great, there is nothing better but I want to branch out. I've tried porter, IPA, lager and wheat beer. Nothing is as good.

Can anyone make a suggestion of others that I can try? I normally like coopers as they can be augmented without much hassle.

Something flavoursome? I'm not really a hop fan though...

Any help would be very welcome!

Matt

Belgian beers are full of flavour. The pinnacle of beer in my humble opinion.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

If you love a stout and you havent found anything you like as much then, branch out within the style. Dry Stout, Milk Stout, American Stout, Oatmeal stout, Foreign extra stout.

You could also try putting different yeasts in your favourite stout. You could try belgian yeasts or saison yeasts, or and English yeast with a strong flavour profile (such as fullers strain/White labs WLP002

Coffee stout, Chocolate stout,American stout or how about blackberry stout,did one last year and it was a decent drink:thumb:

Rye beers,black rye ipa's, American black lager,Belgian blondes:thumb::thumb::thumb:i do like a belgian blonde:lol:

I'm just sipping a peanut butter and cocoa nib imperial stout. I made a straight impy stout 10.5% then split two gallons of into dj's. One got cocoa nibs and pb2 powdered peanut butter that I soaked in vodka for a few weeks before brewday, the other got the same aswell as some Bourbon oak chunks. I must say it's bloody lovely.

To buy rather than brew . . . . . I love LOVE Old Engine Oil from Harviestoun Brewery. They call it a black ale and it's bloomin lovely. Waitrose sell it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back