American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some may have seen in another thread that I have some:

Apollo 19.5% approx 90g
Columbus 16.8% 80g

and I am planning on doing a American IPA but need some help building the recipe because this is my first attempt of doing my own recipe from scratch. I will be using the BIAB method.

So I was thinking about something like this:

5 kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Crystal Malt (not sure on EBU)

30G Apollo @ 60 mins
30G Columbus @ 60 mins
30G Apollo @ 30
30G Columbus @ 30
30G Apollo@ flame out
30G Columbus @ flame out
15G Citra @ Flame out
30g Citra dry hop

Yeast - Safale US-05 Yeast (11.5g)

Thoughts and input welcomed.

With High alpha hops that looks like a hell of a lot of bittering to me, and would hazard a guess at over 100 IBU's. My palate doesn't really like over 50 Ibu's but some people do like more.

Just used brewers friend to calculate and your recipe will be coming in at over 200ibu's.

This would give 55IBU's.

Apollo 20g at 60min
Collumbus 40g at 5min
Collumbus 40g at flame out
Dry Hop 45g of citra

Apollo is mainly a bittering hop so would prefer to use collumbus and citra for flavour and aroma

Looks a bit better to me but others here will have better experience!!

I'd try light crystal if you haven't already purchased it. Grain quantities look good.

Have you calculated the number of IBUs, eg. on Brewer's Friend?

I think you may wish to give a larger percentage of your hops to late additions.

Thanks. If I only knew the IBU for some of my favourite ales. I like strong hoppy flavours.

Off the top of my head sierra nevada pale has just under 40 IBU

Brewdog punk IPA i think has 45 IBU

Google your favourite beers and theyre should be something that will give you a decent approximation.

I'd try light crystal if you haven't already purchased it. Grain quantities look good.

Have you calculated the number of IBUs, eg. on Brewer's Friend?

I think you may wish to give a larger percentage of your hops to late additions.

No nothing purchased yet

If you want big hop intensity then scrap the early hop additions and add all the hops in the last 20 mins or less, and in a dry hop. This will reduce the bitterness but increase the flavour and aroma. If you like high bitterness, aim for maybe 60 IBUs and decide whether you want more or less bitterness next time.

If Tribute is a guide to your tastes then you need to cut the hops drastically. It only has about 30 IBUs I believe, but lots of Styrian hops steeped at 80*C after the boil.

Also, Apollo, Columbus and Citra are much more powerful than the hops in Tribute.

I know I like more powerful ales than Tribute but I used it as an example of one I have drunk recently. I tend to pick up beers everywhere but I am useless of noting what I like.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Apollo/Columbus Combo IPA
Author: Leon
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.69%
IBU (tinseth): 57.47
SRM (morey): 7
FERMENTABLES:
5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (90.9%)
0.5 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 15L (9.1%)
HOPS:
30 g - Apollo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 19.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 46.97
30 g - Columbus, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 16.8, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.5
30 g - Columbus, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 16.8, Use: Boil for 0 min
50 g - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.7, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
20 g - Apollo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 19.5, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 66 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 20 L
YEAST:
Default - - -
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med
Optimum Temp: 18.89 - 22.22 C

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2015-09-08 17:02 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2015-09-08 16:10 UTC

Looks ok to me. On the grounds that most homebrewers aren't very quick at chilling their wort quickly, I'd maybe go for 20g at 30 mins and 40g at flameout.

I'd maybe also make the 30min addition a 60min addition with even less hops. 60/15/0 is a fairly common and simple addition schedule.

Looks ok to me. On the grounds that most homebrewers aren't very quick at chilling their wort quickly, I'd maybe go for 20g at 30 mins and 40g at flameout.

I'd maybe also make the 30min addition a 60min addition with even less hops. 60/15/0 is a fairly common and simple addition schedule.

Thanks for the tip. It will be a higher EBU Crystal too.

Latest posts

Back