Any opinions on Speidel 30l plastic FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenito

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm currently working with the usual buckets and have no real issues, but I am aware they have a finite life span. I'm not quite ready to splash out on steel buckets (I'd also need a bigger fridge I think), so I was looking at the Speidel 30l fermenters

Is it worth using these over buckets? What are people's experience with these? Any tips? Can I expect a bit more longevity out them than a bucket (if treated the same of course)?

Or perhaps any alternatives to this? I like the tap at the bottom, as my buckets have these and it makes taking samples much easier. I use an under counter fridge for temp control, so my FV size is limited to the size of that.

I use these ...

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-fermenting-bin-and-lid-25l/invt/0022555

They are cheap and cheerful and fit into my under-counter fridges.

Personally, I just don't like a tap on an FV and prefer to use a syphon + filter. (I regard taps as a potential source of infection and leaks; plus if you are Dry Hopping it is difficult to remove the hops before bottling.)

As they get scratched (all plastic FVs will get scratched eventually) I use them for other work. One has an element fitted and heats my Strike and Sparge water, another holds my Grain Mill and a third is used as a secure grain storage bin.

Enjoy! :gulp:

I love the spiedals. The only reason I haven’t upgraded to a s brew bucket is that I am so happy with spiedals.

So easy to clean and sanitise, nice and sturdy but light, food grade plastic.

I primary, secondary and dry hop if needed in the the one spiedal and rack from the tap.

The wilko buckets look decent. Good price too. Thanks. I don't use the taps to decant, I still Syphon off into a bottling bucket.

Maybe I'll give the Speidel a try then once my current buckets have expired. Sounds like they are decent bit of kit

The large screw tops also look good. I wonder how easy they are to carry though as they don't seem to have any handles

The large screw tops also look good. I wonder how easy they are to carry though as they don't seem to have any handles

The Wilco PBs don't have handles either and they are an absolute bugger for me to lift up more than waist high 'cos my wrists don't swivel sideways through 90 degrees. Also, the "wide neck" type are a bit of a pain because my forearms are too large to comfortably fit into the "wide neck".

Luckily for me I am blessed with fairly slender arms. The advantage of being a programmer. No chance to develop much forearm muscle :)

I have four round 30l Speidel cider fermenters. Done 10hl of brews over 2 years, I do bacteria dip-slides the f/v's are still totally sanitisable from my results. They are well made and do the job. I do use scratch free pads to clean them though. Be gentle, use the right sensitisation and they are perfect! I also use taps on the lid with blow off's - so much better than lock/bubblers for active brews,,,

Back