Anyone brew in the shed??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my dedicated brew shed. About 3x4m, so nothing huge but enough for all my brewing gear (including fermenting fridge, just to the left of screen). It gets a little warm during the boil, but with the double doors open and the fan aiming out, it stays relatively condensation-free (for lack of a better term).

Definitely get power to the shed if you are able to though. I ended up paying additional to get 3-phase to the house when we built which definitely helps being able to spread the loads across the phases. Even if you plan on using a gas burner, the option to throw an over-the-side element in to boost the boil/ramp times makes life that little bit easier.

ess1458250062422.jpg

Thanks chaps. I've already got a 13amp feet to the garage which comes in from the floor so this will remain in place.
I may even splash out at some point and get my sparky to put in a "proper" feed so I can start building a control panel for everything.

In the meantime, I'll do what I've always done and use one socket for the 1st element and run an extension from another circuit for the second.

I only brew kits, and I brew in garage and store in shed. The problem with a shed is in the summer it gets too warm and in winter too cold. OK you could use heaters in the winter but in the summer in North Wales the shed really gets too hot, OK to store beer but not to brew beer. I did consider a garden on top of the shed, that would cool it down, but went to garage to brew in instead.

It may seem daft but putting soil on the shed roof with grass or any other plants growing really cools down the shed. This was found out during world war two when they built whole hangers under grass to hide from bombers. Time to think about it is before you build then if required you can build in the support for weight. Other method is a double skin with air gap. Or of course a over hanging tree. But my shed can hit 30 degs in summer so you need some way to cool it for the beer.

My brew fridge sorts that... Perfect, consistent temp whether it's 30 degrees or 3 degrees in there. :)

Yup, a fermenting fridge was one of the first things I purchased after my first couple of kit brews and already made them 10 times better. Should definitely be at the top of any shopping list for the new brewer, be it K&K, partial or all-grain.

Latest posts

Back