Anyone got a cheap saison recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
I’ve got extra pale malt and a sachet of m29 yeast, I want to make a saison but ideally I’d like it to be as cheap as possible, possibly using store cupboard ingredients for flavouring? It would be nice to make something hazy and around 6.5%
The hops I have are:
Cascade 30g
Fuggles 10g
Northdown 13g
Summit 15g

Obviously I’d be happy to buy the stuff I need like wheat to make it hazy or additional hops if necessary

Cheers!

Last edited:
My house saison recipe is 4kg pilsner malt, 1kg light Munich. 25g challenger at 60 mins, 15g challenger at 15 minutes. Belle saison yeast.

You could just use all pale/lager/pilsner malt and substitute your yeast and hops in the above. Mine comes out at 25 IBUs.

The latest brew also had 10g fuggles in at 10m. It's about 6%. Any of your hops will work

Here's what Hazelwood had to say about it
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/may-brew-review-thread-saison.99052/post-1144302

Last edited:
Saison is a broad church, from super pale Smash type beers, to quite dark with rye and any number of other ingredients. Remember its farmhouse tradition, so its whatever the farmer had / grew / was left over that made the beer.
I like my Saisons super pale and simple, really let the yeast shine through, but it all depends what you have and what you like.

with what you have i would stick with the malt and use the fuggles and northdown for hops and just crack on!

Saison is a pretty broad range of beers, but the nice thing is it’s really hard to screw up (seriously you can practically do everything wrong and still end up with good beer).

One thing to remember many Saison yeasts are diastaticus (not sure on M29) and will ferment extremely low think 1.002 or lower so a seemingly low gravity beer can end up far stronger than intended.

I mostly use Pilsner malt and a little Carapils but if you just have pale malt to use up I would just use that, keep the hops fairly light, ferment warm and let the yeast shine.

7A40DECF-61B1-40A8-B031-67688C49F6D6.jpeg

Wow so many quick replies! To make it hazy do I need the wheat?
You don't need the wheat, but adding a bunch of wheat will make it hazier. Some saison yeasts aren't very flocculant, so will remain hazy for a long time in the bottle/keg. And if it's not, a quick swirl will get the haze back. You can always do weird and wacky things like adding a bit of grist, or even flour at the end of the mash to get unconverted starch into the beer.

Why does it  need to be hazy though?

M29 is diastatic, and you can’t make a haey beer with it. All my M29/m27 saisons were always very clear very fast.

Saison is a broad church, from super pale Smash type beers, to quite dark with rye and any number of other ingredients. Remember its farmhouse tradition, so its whatever the farmer had / grew / was left over that made the beer.
I like my Saisons super pale and simple, really let the yeast shine through, but it all depends what you have and what you like.

with what you have i would stick with the malt and use the fuggles and northdown for hops and just crack on!
Northdown for the bittering and Fuggles at flame out?

I've made quite a few saisons. My conclusion has been "the simpler the better", for my tastes. Focus on the yeast. Liquid is a step up, but the dry ones are ok.

I split a batch 4 ways a couple of years ago, made additions to 3, but liked the zero addition version best. Doesnt prove anything obviously, but i do like saisons plain and simple with a nice yeast.

So they are one of the cheap beers to brew. I have Wyeast 3711 in the fridge, it is a very robust yeast that is reused very easily. I'm hoping to get my hands on some WLP585, my favourite to date. Base malt, low hops cost, reused yeast. High attenuation too, so I go for 1040ish to get a 5% beer. Cheap as chips. Before the cost of living crisis.

I just do pilsner or extra pale malt and wheat, around 75/25%. European/English hops for bittering and a late addition.

A good Saison tip from Farmhouse Ales by Markowski, is to aim for around 40 ibus, splitting the hops to 1 part bittering addition, 1 part at around 15 minutes and 3 parts at flame out.

I find any hop that isn't piney works well. I've had good results with both Amarillo and Sorachi Ace in Saisons

A good Saison tip from Farmhouse Ales by Markowski, is to aim for around 40 ibus, splitting the hops to 1 part bittering addition, 1 part at around 15 minutes and 3 parts at flame out.

I find any hop that isn't piney works well. I've had good results with both Amarillo and Sorachi Ace in Saisons
Sorachi ace is wonderful in a saison.

Are any of these hops piney?
Cascade 30g
Fuggles 10g
Northdown 18g
Summit 15g

11/07/2019 - SAISON 3 return of the powerful - brew 51 yellow

3750ml boiled chase spring
100g cascade - 6 min boil
Added 740g GS - hop stand 20 mins
3 kg extra light DME
500g - DWE
MJ m29 french SAISON yeast
1069 at 26
top up to 21litres
01/08/2019 - 1004 - 8.53%

it took 3 months to be truly delicious.

My latest SAISON is just hitting its stride - red alert.

M29 also works well in impy's & quads I've found.

Back