Anyone got a cheap saison recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11/07/2019 - SAISON 3 return of the powerful - brew 51 yellow

3750ml boiled chase spring
100g cascade - 6 min boil
Added 740g GS - hop stand 20 mins
3 kg extra light DME
500g - DWE
MJ m29 french SAISON yeast
1069 at 26
top up to 21litres
01/08/2019 - 1004 - 8.53%

it took 3 months to be truly delicious.

My latest SAISON is just hitting its stride - red alert.

M29 also works well in impy's & quads I've found.
Really interesting to know about m29 in impys and quads

Be very careful using a Saison yeast for an imperial stout. The yeast just keeps on going through the sugar's. You can end up with bottle bomb's

1676157312431.png

A good Saison tip from Farmhouse Ales by Markowski, is to aim for around 40 ibus, splitting the hops to 1 part bittering addition, 1 part at around 15 minutes and 3 parts at flame out.

I find any hop that isn't piney works well. I've had good results with both Amarillo and Sorachi Ace in Saisons
You mention 3 parts at flame out- do you mean 3 different hops added at flame out?

Be very careful using a Saison yeast for an imperial stout. The yeast just keeps on going through the sugar's. You can end up with bottle bomb's
I've done 3 with m29 they aren't so thick but had no problems with them. some are 2 years+ old now I only use one packet rehydrated for 21-22 litres so maybe it gives up just in time 🤔

I've done 3 with m29 they aren't so thick but had no problems with them. some are 2 years+ old now I only use one packet rehydrated for 21-22 litres so maybe it gives up just in time 🤔
I did just the one, turned out a very nice beer. The ones that aged became over carbonated with time. I think I cane second on the monthly dark beer competition

Ok so I’ve adjusted the recipe again, this time I’m going for 6kg extra pale malt instead of the 7kg, I’ve added amber Candi sugar 500g just to up the EBC a bit (plus I enjoy the process of making the Candi rocks lol)
With the hops I’ve used all the random hops I have stored in the freezer and tried to utilise the method you were describing Sadfield- can only get a maximum IBU of 31 doing it this way unless I’m missing something.
Anyone who can look at this with a more experienced eye than myself please feel free to comment!

Attachments

• 22520668-A976-4B22-8331-C57070D4E56D.png
    22520668-A976-4B22-8331-C57070D4E56D.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
Brew it up.

One observation though, you've two Northdown additions, 5g more than you listed earlier in your opening post.

Back