Anyone using igloo 45l mash tun?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy321

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a mash tun as I'm currently mashing in my boiler. I was planning on making one but by the time I add up the cost of all the parts and equipment I'm not far off the price of the igloo from the home brew shop at £99.00 delivered.

At the moment I only need to make enough to fill a corny keg but I'm thinking about upping my brews to 2 kegs so the Igloo looks ideal.

Any downfall in using this mash tun with only 5-6kg of grain, I can just put some polystyrene in the head space?

Is the stainless steel false bottom supplied with this any good?

Any opinions would be helpful as I don't want to buy twice.

Link to the mash tun

Used my brothers one of these yesterday. Used 5-6kg grain and lost 0.0oC in the hour mash.

Thanks for the replies, don't think I can resist much longer as I really need a mash tun.

Since I'm getting free delivery I just need to work out what grains to buy for my new toy.

Well it's done now.

Ordered some grains to make a strong stout/porter now that I can mash larger amounts

My first mash will be..
6kg Marris Otter
500g Rauchmalt
300g Roasted Barley
300g Chocolate Malt
250g Carapils
250g Lactose
Challenger Hops

That should make a good 7% christening!

Jimmy321 said:
I'm looking to get a mash tun as I'm currently mashing in my boiler. I was planning on making one but by the time I add up the cost of all the parts and equipment I'm not far off the price of the igloo from the home brew shop at £99.00 delivered.

At the moment I only need to make enough to fill a corny keg but I'm thinking about upping my brews to 2 kegs so the Igloo looks ideal.

Any downfall in using this mash tun with only 5-6kg of grain, I can just put some polystyrene in the head space?

Is the stainless steel false bottom supplied with this any good?

Any opinions would be helpful as I don't want to buy twice.

Link to the mash tun

Hi,

I use an Igloo 45l as my mashtun and have only done 5 gallon brews thus far. It does not lose much heat over a 90 min mash. I ensure that I close the lid and put a cover over it and then just leave it and have not failed with a mash yet.

Good luck with your first AG brew
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back