autolysis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i meant was,
You always hear people saying not to leave the beer in the fermenter for more than 3 weeks or your beer could suffer from autolysis but we bottle condition beer and leave it sitting on yeast for long periods of time and i never tasted it? but my bottles don't last that long :lol: . After a drunken roam around the net last night i came away with the belief that it only occurs in bottle conditioned beer after a year or more, is that correct :wha: Maybe somebody could explain why it is supposed to happen in the fermenter so much quicker :?:

It's down to how much yeast there is really. Ideally a bottle conditioned beer should have a really thin layer of yeast (Around about the thickness of a layer of paint) on the bottom of the bottle . . . I've had a 1990 Thomas Hardy Ale an no sign of autolysis

I was readng my Wheat Beer book yesterday and it stated that autolysis can also occur in the bottle if primed using a top fermentng yeast. I assume that is why some of the big Hefe producers like Erdinger prime with lager yeast.

Back