Bacon!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know if the bacon has changed in the UK but over the years it certainly has here. The rind has disappeared, and the bacon looks like it has been joined to another piece of bacon, a bit like looking at a length of wood that has been laminated and the grain not matching. What happens to all the rind?

You know bacon cuts are available in streaky, middle & back depending on the ratio of fat/meat. With streaky bacon being best for generating crispy bacon.

Although the rind has been trimmed off of most pre packed supermarket bacon - maybe this is what foxy means.

But it's worth occasionally splashing out for a real bacon treat at an actual butchers.

We buy nearly all our meat from the butchers now.. Occasionally buy bacon from the supermarket to put in freezer for when you've a an urge for a bacon butty.

Same with Veg; try and get it all from the Market or Farm shop (though they seem expensive these days) as it's not all packaged in sweaty plastic.

Still got rind. Where does your bacon come from?(I know it's something to do with pigs).
Well, our rind has gone! I suspect they have found another use for it. Over here all bacon is supposedly smoked, I have often thought how can they smoke so much bacon? They don't they spray a smoked flavour on it FFS!
Is it a mix of pig and kangaroo meat, i will say nobody does bacon like we do
Americans do, and they do it better! Thick slices of juicy streaky bacon, it's puzzling why a country that broke away from the empire makes bacon the same way and Australia has to put a pretend smoke flavour to it.
You know bacon cuts are available in streaky, middle & back depending on the ratio of fat/meat. With streaky bacon being best for generating crispy bacon.

Although the rind has been trimmed off of most pre packed supermarket bacon - maybe this is what foxy means.

But it's worth occasionally splashing out for a real bacon treat at an actual butchers.
I go to an English butcher and get boiled ham but his bacon is paper thin. I cure my own bacon and share with like-minded friends. But I have been looking at using sodium nitrite which I have avoided in the past, just to speed things up a bit and make sure there is no bacteria on the bacon. Never had a problem before but just want to speed up the curing process.

English butchers will cut it how you like. "Its got a knob on the side"

That's two of us buying sodium nitrate. 🤣. I think my previous is prolly out of date.

English butchers will cut it how you like. "Its got a knob on the side"

That's two of us buying sodium nitrate. 🤣. I think my previous is prolly out of date.
From what I have read doesn't seem to have a long shelf life. But after my reading I am sure I can avoid any poisoning.

Americans do, and they do it better! Thick slices of juicy streaky bacon, it's puzzling why a country that broke away from the empire makes bacon the same way and Australia has to put a pretend smoke flavour to it
Streaky bacon is not thick and juicy it is cut thin so it goes crispy, the Americans are backward when it comes to food,

Got my 'Quick Cure' 6.25% sodium nitrite, two of the pork jowls I bought as is the other I butchered myself from half a pig's head, I fried the brains, and the dog had the remainder after boiling. Price difference, jowls bought as for two is $11 half a pig's head is $4.50. Wont bother with the pig's head anymore. Cure has been rubbed in and the jowls are vacuum-packed. Cure in the fridge until Saturday.
If it works out OK I will have a go on the pork belly.
IMG_0988.JPG

Looking good. My sodium nitrate mix arrived today. Brisket next up!
Just make sure that you have the right one, there are quite a few different cures. I got mine from one of the local homebrew shops who do all manner of cures for different applications. It was a good job I read up on the one I was supposed to have, they had given me the wrong one!

Looking good foxy!

Streaky bacon is not thick and juicy it is cut thin so it goes crispy, the Americans are backward when it comes to food,
Woahhhh nelly. This coming from a country that hasn't figured out the war is over and rationing has ended. Comment on our bacon when you've put away the Bovril mate. <3 ;)

I do actually love food British food and defend it vehemently and with gusto among other chefs. <3
Supermarket bacon is trash. I'll send some of mine next time I make some to anyone that wants it. I SHALL DEFEND MY COUNTRY'S FOOD BASED HONOR! lol

Latest posts

Back