Bad fermentation smells

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read urea doesn't smell so perhaps its Ammonia I'm getting? Basically whatever the smell is in urine like if you don't flush the bog for a few pees.

New sample shows she's at 1.013 (4 days since last test). Looks to be clearing out. There was some krausen still when I pulled my last sample. Fermentation chamber smells a little more like rotting shellfish now. Lovely. The sample looked great. Couldnt smell ammonia or dead lobster and the taste not bad. A little green but I couldn't detect anything bad. Lot of bubbles in the sample so its either still going or just gas coming out of solution. I shall take another look Monday and if its finished and tastes alright I'll bottle it and see what it comes out like. Fingers crossed.

Mystery solved. I had a thought the other day perhaps when some of the krausen seeped out of the lid in a spot or two some of it had run underneath the fermenting bucket and missed being mopped up. Turns out that theory was right. When I moved the bucket out of the chamber this morning to bottle it tonight there was a pool of slimy crusty yeasty yuck. Maaaaaan did that stink. Not sure my chamber will ever be totally free of the smell again and my nose seems traumatised by the experience of cleaning it up. The outside of the bucket here and there smells a bit bad too. Im hoping nothing has managed to track it's way in under the lid to effect the beer. It smelled and tasted fine last check. Feel stupid now not thinking about this sooner. At least the beer will still hopefully be my best one yet!

Excellent news! Brewing beer is such an investment in time and energy, not just ingredients, it’s only natural to be concerned if things aren’t behaving as expected!

Sounds like a good scrub/soak in diluted bleach is in order when you’re all done, just to be safe!

Excellent news! Brewing beer is such an investment in time and energy, not just ingredients, it’s only natural to be concerned if things aren’t behaving as expected!

Sounds like a good scrub/soak in diluted bleach is in order when you’re all done, just to be safe!
Good shout. What dilution ratio would you recommend.

Latest posts

Back