Banana Wheat Beer ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
Around the web there are a few recipes for Banana Wheat Beer which sounds a nice refreshing drink for the warmer months. In the back of my brewing cupboard I have a Coopers Wheat Beer kit along with quite a few bottles of steam extracted banana juice which I produced and pasteurised last year. I am thinking of short brewing the kit by a couple of litres and maybe replacing it with the banana juice.

What do you good people think about it. Do you reckon it will be worth it or a waste of time and money.

Cheers Neil

pittsy said:
nothing ventured nothing gained , worth a try

This!

I know some people get the banana flavour from a specific yeast or fermentation temp, they do it in pilsners and wheats, read up on it - could help to enhance the flavour!

In Germany you can get sometimes "Bananenweizen" which is wheat beer with banana juice mixed in the glass. Its 6 to 1 or so.

Sounds like a great idea. I love the banana taste that the yeasts imparts on Franziskaner.

I guess you add the banana juice after initial ferment? Also consider adding in small increments to make sure you don't add too much.

You could also try to use dried bananas like THESE. They are just dried whole bananas with no preservatives and you could just chop them boil them a bit and add to the fv.

Great info there, thanks.

I might do half the kit with juice, and half without until the end and add it instead of priming the bottles with sugar.

Latest posts

Back