Been out of the ALL GRAIN game for a while. What do you think to this recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christ, should have proof read that before posting. Now edited.

I say go for it. I think you'd have to add much more of the speciality malts to get something undrinkable. If it's not brilliant, then it's something to consider for next time.

I'm planning a bitter with a somewhat similar grain bill, mainly made up of my leftover bits and bobs, including victory malt. I'm going for a simpler hop schedule to bring the malt flavours to the forefront. I'm using wilko ale yeast which is highly attenuative, as there is a lot of speciality malt in there I'd be slightly concerned about fermentation finishing quite sweet otherwise. That's my only concern with it but let's see. Happy to do a bottle swap when we are done if you want.

Yeah id ike that buddy.

Once I do the brew I will.post my starting gravity. Beersmith says 1.053 with 500g of crystal and 200 victory, 100 black malt and 4.8kg MO. Final gravity should be 1.013 which will give the right mouth feel for what I'm trying to achieve.

I agree that the 90 and 60 minute addition will probably be too much so that needs addressing. Some fuggles added later along with ekg should improve it but I want high 20 to low 30 IBU'S with a happy aroma but not overpowering.

I'll work on the recipe but if anyone else can give me any advice to achieve this other than Beersmith which doesn't show aroma info that would be great.

When are you starting your brew buddy? I used the wilco ale yeast before. It's good. It's fantastic for cider too. Way better than cider yeast!

Friday evening is looking like the target for brewing mine. Good luck with yours!

Christ, should have proof read that before posting. Now edited.

I say go for it. I think you'd have to add much more of the speciality malts to get something undrinkable. If it's not brilliant, then it's something to consider for next time.

And you sir just said what I needed to hear!!!

Thank you 😆

Knowing my luck I have calculated the water wrong and it'll come out like bloody barley wine but regardless I'll drink it. Even if it is undrinkable!

I shall look at the hop schedule again and repost my alterations in due course...

Saturday morning for me pal. I'm at work Friday and picking up an adopted degu after work so an early Saturday morning brew is the plan.

What's your recipe?

15 litre batch

1.2kg pale malt
1kg Munich
300g Victory
300g torrified wheat
250g Crystal 60L

60mins mash at 67C plus batch sparge

60mins boil

25g EKG for 60mins
30g EKG for 5mins

Should be 1.045 OG, 28 IBU and 22 EBC

Seeing as you've already bought the victory theres no reason not to use it. I guess it will just accentuate the nutty/ biscuity flavour. I just suggested not using it, as I thought you were putting the reciepe together and hadnt bought all the ingredients yet

15 litre batch

1.2kg pale malt
1kg Munich
300g Victory
300g torrified wheat
250g Crystal 60L

60mins mash at 67C plus batch sparge

60mins boil

25g EKG for 60mins
30g EKG for 5mins

Should be 1.045 OG, 28 IBU and 22 EBC

Very much looking forward to a bottle swap with you buddy. I have never used Munich malt before so interested to see what that brings.

I'll post my final recipe soon

Seeing as you've already bought the victory theres no reason not to use it. I guess it will just accentuate the nutty/ biscuity flavour. I just suggested not using it, as I thought you were putting the reciepe together and hadnt bought all the ingredients yet

Glad you said that buddy. Because I'm bloody doing it now lol.

I'm going 4.8kg MO
500g CM
200gVM
100g BM

HOPSTO be confirmed shortly

Glad you said that buddy. Because I'm bloody doing it now lol.

I'm going 4.8kg MO
500g CM
200gVM
100g BM

HOPSTO be confirmed shortly

Hip additions.

Fuggles at 4.4%

Screenshot_20170301-224306.jpg

As part of my job I spoke to a brewery today and spoke to an absolute genius by the the of Steve. I think his name should be PETER and Peter gave me some amazing advice.

In terms of advice he should be considered a SAINT.

What a bloody lovely bloke.

I have adjusted my hops accordingly.

This isn't the first time brewers have helped me but I thoroughly enjoyed our chat and he reviewed my recipe, changed it and gave me the best advice ever.

Thanks "peter" I can't wait to brew this tomorrow. I loved discussing IBU'S and EBC'S with you. Your advice on hops was amazing and it's so nice to have a brew conversation with an expert!

I'm not calling it stiff Upper Lip anymore. I'm calling this one Steve!

You are my hero buddy!

Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back