Beer 52

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crappyfish

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone had any issues with Beer 52.?
My works did a promotion and I ended up with a subscription but to be fair the beer don't look to bad.

On the whole I was fairly happy with Beer52 but the beer did seem to get a tad repetitive after a while. But my biggest issue is that they do not let you cancel online instead try to force you to call them (on a line only open during normal working hours) you can as I discovered cancel via e-mail ([email protected]) although it took them about a week to respond and cancel my account.

On the whole I was fairly happy with Beer52 but the beer did seem to get a tad repetitive after a while. But my biggest issue is that they do not let you cancel online instead try to force you to call them (on a line only open during normal working hours) you can as I discovered cancel via e-mail ([email protected]) although it took them about a week to respond and cancel my account.
I normally find that cancelling the direct debit straight with your bank is far easier than calling them. They quickly get the message when they can't get your money

To be honest I found the beers in the pack I had all a bit meh. It could just have been the variety I was sent though as I cancelled immediately after the first delivery. I have had a couple of packs from Bier Company which I have preferred.

I normally find that cancelling the direct debit straight with your bank is far easier than calling them. They quickly get the message when they can't get your money
If they hadn’t responded to my email that would have potentially being my next step (although it’s credit card rather than a direct debit) I do not appreciate subscription services that claim to be rolling 30 day contracts forcing you to jump through hoops to cancel. If it wasn’t for that I would quite happily sign up to them again now and again but not now.

If they hadn’t responded to my email that would have potentially being my next step (although it’s credit card rather than a direct debit) I do not appreciate subscription services that claim to be rolling 30 day contracts forcing you to jump through hoops to cancel. If it wasn’t for that I would quite happily sign up to them again now and again but not now.
I didn't realise it was a credit card rather than direct debit. Yes, I think it's mean to make people jump through hoops to quit a subscription (energy suppliers used to do this until ofgen stepped in).

I can't quite remember but I phoned my credit card company about something like this year's ago because it was almost impossible to cancel a subscription from one of these unscrupulous vendors (20 minutes of hold music). I was at the stage of just cancelling the card and getting a new one (or reporting it lost) and I think the credit card company just put a block on that particular merchant for my card. It was donkeys years ago so can't really remember

It's a recurring payment rather than a direct debit. I think the originator has to cancel these, rather than the payer.

If you call they will use sales tactics, give you money off the next box, put you on a pause etc.

Just email and say you're trying to cut down on drinking. If they're responsible as they should be, they won't give you any sales guff.

Last edited:
If you call they will sales tactics, give you money off the next box, put you on a pause etc.
I recently resubscribed for an offer and rang the next month to cancel, after being on hold for ages they reduced my next box to £20 for 10 cans which I thought was fair enough but still about the maximum I'd pay. Saying that the beers aren't 'wow' but they're good enough. Need to go through it all again now although I think I'll try the email this time

Same issues as above. First box was OK, second was rubbish, cancellation process was even worse.

The really sad thing is, that my experience was circa 2014-15 and they're operating the same way.

I did two months and some of the beers were good and some not so great. Unlike some of you guys I found the cancellation process pretty painless, there wasn't even any effort to keep me to be fair.

I was very happy with mine but with only 7 days in a week I found it difficult to shift that and the homebrew.

This is why I’ve still got a subscription

Just email and say you're trying to cut down on drinking. If they're responsible as they should be, they won't give you any sales guff.

I used a similar tactic on Virgin Wines years ago, just told them I'd had to stop drinking for medical reasons, no questions asked after that 🙂

I cancelled subscription with no real issues they told me I had 13.50 credit so I could buy some more for another 13.50. the credit bit wasn't quite true cos they obviously knocked the next delivery down by 50% just a sales ploy as no money left my account.

I had a subscription for about 5 months a couple of years ago. Unfortunately their product line represented pretty much current "fads" in that it largely consists of fruity pale ales, IPA's (anyone for a Rhubarbara Streisand Extra Custard Milkshake IPA???) and similar along with oddball stouts (breakfast, peanut butter, pecan). There is a wealth of beer out there that is simply not represented.

I chose mixed (dark and pale) cases so I wouldn't be inundated with "me too" hazy, hoppy pale ales....but even so...in a monthly case of 8-12 beers the majority of them were pale and hoppy. I had a couple of "themed" cases that left me particularly underwhelmed....a selection of "British" beers...yes they were from British breweries but the styles were mostly non British...certainly there wasnt a Best Bitter, or a Mild in the selection...most again were hoppy pale ales.

Similarly a "continental" selection also disappointed as most of the beers were brewed by British breweries and were generally poor imitations of the styles they were supposed to represent.

In the end I cancelled my subscription...was pretty painless...was asked my reasons for cancelling, pretty much stated what I've written above. The bloke on the end of the line said "fair enough...I sometimes feel the same way as well"....and that was it.

Got this month's delivered yesterday. All in all I'd say I've been relatively happy with the selections. A bashed up/overcarbed can occasionally.
This month is Spain. A particular beer caught my eye.
Cerdos Voladores. This has a pink cover with a couple of pigs. I keep some of the cans cause I like the artwork. This one caught my eye however because the cover is plastic, and I could clearly see a different pattern and writing underneath or possibly on the reverse side of the plastic.
After removal of the pink cover, I was left with a beer called Santa Anita.
Wtf?
Both are from the Barcelona beer company. The Santa Anita however is lower abv. 4.4% as opposed to the Cerdos Voladores 4.5%.
Can't say I've noticed anything like this before. Questioning if this is even legal.
Barcelona beer company - Quality and Honest craft beers.

Attachments

• IMG-20230307-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230307-WA0003.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20230307-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230307-WA0005.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20230307-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20230307-WA0007.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Back