Belgian beer, is it all it's cracked up to be?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any preferential Belgian beer, but some I drink more than others. Actually, going on by quantity, Vedett IPA is my go to beer (my wife also likes it). Probably followed by Westmalle Tripel, St.-Bernardus Abt 12, also WV 12 (I try to buy every two year a box of six. I like them young, but after a year of aging they are very good). (of course most of the beers I drink I brew myself :-p)
Westmalle Tripel is excellent. I understand they share some things with WV: their distinctive bottles are the same and I got the idea from somewhere that WM supplies WV's yeast, or did at some stage.
Glad the 12s improve with age. I thought WV came in boxes of 24 rather than 6.
If you like Trappiste, you should try Tynt Meadow. It's not WM, but it's very interesting. I'll drink it again.

Actually every country does cheap lager pizz, some more than others. The Dutch are on a par with the UK i'd say with quite a lot of bland euro fizz.

I am partial to a Dommelsch though (we pass the brewery on the way to centreparks) but they also brew the dreaded Jupiler.

Back to the Belgians, Leroy stout was a sink tipper 🤢 as bad or worse than some licorne beers I've had, and yet Leroy brew popperings hommel beer which is an utter delight. I've had Hercule stout and that was fine so no idea who can drink Leroy's insipid offering :confused.:

Westmalle Tripel is excellent. I understand they share some things with WV: their distinctive bottles are the same and I got the idea from somewhere that WM supplies WV's yeast, or did at some stage.
Glad the 12s improve with age. I thought WV came in boxes of 24 rather than 6.
If you like Trappiste, you should try Tynt Meadow. It's not WM, but it's very interesting. I'll drink it again.
Bought at "In de Vrede" in a cardboard box of 6. It's more expensive per bottle, but it is more practical.

Back to the Belgians, Leroy stout was a sink tipper 🤢 as bad or worse than some licorne beers I've had, and yet Leroy brew popperings hommel beer which is an utter delight. I've had Hercule stout and that was fine so no idea who can drink Leroy's insipid offering :confused.:
Sometimes I need to satisfy my sweet tooth. I did like Leroy Stout (my wife too). I am more impressed that there seems to be a market for it. I don't think it is brewed in big quantities. I would actually suppose that Hercule is sold in larger quantities (the hamburger chain Jilles likes to present them).

@Agentgonzo : not all Belgian beers have a large attenuation, although a whole lot of them do. Van Honsebrouck's beers can also satisfy ones sweet tooth, like Kasteel Donker, Kasteel Rouge and Kasteel Rubus Framboise.

Browsing the beer shelf in our local supermarket, and probably triggered by Sadfields reference to lambic, I came across Lindeman's Faro. This is a one year old lambic sweetened with candy sugar and (I suspect artificial) sweetener. I found it, perhaps, just a little, too sweet and it would have been better if they'd left the lambic week alone apart from priming. Very nice, nonetheless. Anyone out there tried this one?

Browsing the beer shelf in our local supermarket, and probably triggered by Sadfields reference to lambic, I came across Lindeman's Faro. This is a one year old lambic sweetened with candy sugar and (I suspect artificial) sweetener. I found it, perhaps, just a little, too sweet and it would have been better if they'd left the lambic week alone apart from priming. Very nice, nonetheless. Anyone out there tried this one?

Yeah, I quite enjoy that one. I always find Lindemans too sweet, although I also share your view that the base beer is actually very promising.

A good way to intoduce people to Lambic, there are Faro from other Lambic breweries and blenders that may be better. Once you get the taste for Gueuze there isn't much going back. Lindemanns Cuvee Renee Oude Gueuze is their best offering.

Last edited:
I didn't say they did. You're right some don't. I was trying not to phrase it solely as attenuation.

Last edited:
I’ve been to Bruges twice last year but I’m a novice when it comes to Belgium beer. There were a couple uninspiring beers which I don’t recall but some cracking beers too. Drank a fair amount of Zolt as I like to start local but once I’d found a few decent pubs my favs were st Bernardus 12 (which is also epic in a Flemish stew), finally found a saison DuPont which didn’t disappoint, troubadour magma and the house beer in De Garre.

Loving the thread for inspiration and if you have more online bottle hunting recommendations it would be great 👍

Sometimes I need to satisfy my sweet tooth. I did like Leroy Stout (my wife too). I am more impressed that there seems to be a market for it. I don't think it is brewed in big quantities. I would actually suppose that Hercule is sold in larger quantities (the hamburger chain Jilles likes to present them).

@Agentgonzo : not all Belgian beers have a large attenuation, although a whole lot of them do. Van Honsebrouck's beers can also satisfy ones sweet tooth, like Kasteel Donker, Kasteel Rouge and Kasteel Rubus Framboise.
For sweet Kasteel are my favourite range of Belgian beers, I tend to leave them age athumb.. , I just remembered I also avoid Gordon's. I have tried pretty much all of them hoping to find the right 'sweet spot' but I'm done with them.

Next you'll be telling me you don't like De Ranke XX Bitter, or De La Senne Zinnebir.
It's taken a while, but I've just received a consignment of "research samples" from my preferred supplier and both of these are included. So we'll see whether I like them or not.
Here's the rest of the list so I've got 20 to work through (although some are NE French). Also got a fine beer-drinking couple from Lille staying, so should get a second and third opinion.
1709720198854.png

Last edited:
It's taken a while, but I've just received a consignment of "research samples" from my preferred supplier and both of these are included. So we'll see whether I like them or not.
Here's the rest of the list so I've got 20 to work through (although some are NE French). Also got a fine beer-drinking couple from Lille staying, so should get a second and third opinion.
View attachment 96565
Nice selection..have fun 😊🍻

View attachment 96565
The Brasserie du Boq Saison 1858 is superb....easily a match for Saison Dupont in my humble opinion.

The Brasserie du Boq Saison 1858 is superb....easily a match for Saison Dupont in my humble opinion.
Then I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll make a point of harvesting the yeast, too. I must say that I've really only liked Dupont up to now, but I'm open to persuasion.

Latest posts

Back