Belgian brew / yeast starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phat

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a beligian blonde

I've got the ingredients from Malt Miller, it is one of their ingredient kits (based on "Revvy's Blonde" recipe). except for the yeast because they were out of stock, so I've ordered Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale yeast from elsewhere as a substitute.

My question is should I make a yeast starter as I've read that the packs of dried yeast have more than sufficient cells in the pack??? (but the OG should be pretty high). I should say that I'm pretty new to AG and have never made a starter before, so here are my follow up questions... If I do make a starter should I add yeast nutrients???.... and if I use nutrients, are wine making yeast nutrients ok??

Cheers, Paul

A starter isn't required for dry yeast, however it is worth rehydrating it before use. Is wakes the yeast up and cuts down lag time.

I'm planning to brew a beligian blonde

I've got the ingredients from Malt Miller, it is one of their ingredient kits (based on "Revvy's Blonde" recipe). except for the yeast because they were out of stock, so I've ordered Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale yeast from elsewhere as a substitute.

My question is should I make a yeast starter as I've read that the packs of dried yeast have more than sufficient cells in the pack??? (but the OG should be pretty high). I should say that I'm pretty new to AG and have never made a starter before, so here are my follow up questions... If I do make a starter should I add yeast nutrients???.... and if I use nutrients, are wine making yeast nutrients ok??

Cheers, Paul

starter not required but rehydrating as per mj's instructions recommended.

that yeast is awesome, it will chew through titanium, without trying to climb up the stairs and suffocate you in your sleep!

A high ferment temp will give you lots of fruityness. No nutrients required.

i've fermented from 1.100 down to 1.008 with a single pack.

I brewed a Belgian Blonde recipe from Maltmiller last weekend and used rehydrated t-58 yeast, it kicked off within a few hours and went nuts for a few days before calming down, I'm glad I use a blow off tube !!

depends on how much headroom in the fv you've got as to whether the krausen climbs out or not, mine didn't this time but it has in the past, an airlock wouldn't have stood a chance :lol:

Latest posts

Back