Belgian Saison sugar addition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

A bit of advice on my conundrum would be much appreciated. Brewed a Saison today and came up short by 16 points (1.062-1.046 24l). I thought the brew went well until my pre-boil check. Anyway, I had an extract kit (Muntons, I think) last year where I added dextrose after a couple of days to start, what I assume, was a second fermentation.
Can someone point me in the direction of some formula for the addition (I've found wine ones but don't know if that will work), when should I add it and what/if any downsides to doing this there will be? It's a Saison so I guess I shouldn't be too worried about the addition making it dry.

As I said above... any advice will be much appreciated.
J

Last edited:
Just had a quick Google, some are saying 9 points per pound of sugar. For a 5 gallon batch. Other method is to use a recipe calculator use

I use 220g of light DME when making yeast starters, this gives me 3 litres with a gravity of 1030.

The same amount of DME in 19 litres would give you:

30 points x 3 litres / 19 litres
= 4.74 points

To get to 16 points you would need:

16 points / 4.74 points x 220g DME
= 742g DME

…let’s call it 750g as that’s a nice round number.

I have it at 26C. Planning to ramp it up 1C a day for day 7 & 8.
Throwing it in peak fermentation sounds sensible to me but I'm no chemist 😜 That should be between day 2 and 3.

So it got to 1.016 today and I added 500g of sugar in solution bringing it back to 1.022.
Am I correct in thinking if the beer was 4% at the time of adding the sugar and it goes back to 3% then I just +1 its final percentage?

So it got to 1.016 today and I added 500g of sugar in solution bringing it back to 1.022.
Am I correct in thinking if the beer was 4% at the time of adding the sugar and it goes back to 3% then I just +1 its final percentage?
Yes. Or you can add 0.006 (the change in gravity from adding the sugar) to your OG.

That would be simpler alright. Thanks all.
Just be careful when adding sugar during primary fermentation and measuring it. Unless all the sugar is dissolved and evenly mixed, you may get a false reading (it'll all ferment fine though).

It's probably more reliable to weigh the sugar, work out (rather than measure) what SG difference that would make to the volume of wort in your fermenter, then add that to you OG

Latest posts

Back