Best kit mod i have ever done.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave0w

Regular.
Reaction score
Coopers Dark Ale

500g Light DME
500g Dark DME
500g Brew enhancer
40g Dark treacle
100g Fuggle hop leaf.
20L or water from asda (£4) - My water is shocking and i would never brew with it.

12L stock pot with 8L or water 1 hour boil.
40g fuggle at start of boil
40g after 30min.
the last 20g is added to fermenter in the last 3 days to dry hop.

when all is in the fermenter i top upto 20L and let it sit for 4 weeks and moved over the a corny

i didnt take reading so i dont know the ABV however from drinking i can tell you its around 6%, it 100% worth a go if any one is looking for a kit mod to play around with. it was very nice and i will be making move ever soon.

Must admit that I'm suprised this was so nice, the kits come already bittered so the general rule is to add aroma hops but not bittering hops. Coopers Dark is apparently 43 IBUs bitterness on its own, boiling 40g of Fuggles on it's own will give you another 30 IBUs so total 73 IBUs, that's well into IPA territory. But good on you for experimenting :thumb:

I'm forever playing with kits, my usual approach is to get an AG recipe but just use the latter stages of the hop boil (10-15 mins and any steeps/dry hopping) then add this to a kit of similar style to what I'm aiming for. So Coopers Dark with the latter stages of a Hobgoblin AG recipe makes a nice brew.

I recently dry hopped a Wherry with 50g of First Gold and that came out really good.

I recently dry hopped a Wherry with 50g of First Gold and that came out really good.

Yes the Wherry is a good brew.

the coopers was very nice, not super bitter but there was a kick to it. i do like the sound of your Coopers Dark/Hobgoblin i am a fan of Hobgoblin.

what would the hop schedule be?
was is a small brew or did you add fermentables to it?

Back