Better Brew Czech Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 days in and gravity at 1.012, will give it a couple of days before taking another reading. Had a taste from the sample and it's very promising, much nicer at this stage than other lagers ive done (coopers lager and cerveza). I dont know if this is down to a better kit or if using bottled water instead of tap water can make this difference, but very encouraging nonetheless.

Made with 500g brewing sugar and 500g light spraymalt.

Just bottled my first ever beer kit today, this is the kit i chose first due to the cracking report from callumscott . i had to have a sneak taste and it left a very nice taste in your mouth, very hoppy but very nice, time now to leave in the warm for 7 days, all boxed and closed, then in my garage for 2 month to cool off, then will get back to you unless at different stages i decide to have an other sneak taste lol. here is a pic of one of my 42 bottles...

IMG_0235.jpg

All the positive things said about this brew are true!

We opened the first of the 2ltr bottle last night.(four of those, as a used up my remaining 500/750ml stocks prior.) at 6weeks old.

Already, at this young age it's lovely, a real pils drink. There's that lovely hoppy finish of course, but beyons that there's real complexity in the flavours, a strawberry-ish note for one.
All the young "fudgy" flavours are gone and using as soft a water as I could proved worthwhile. The mouthfeel is the best of any kitbrew I've tried.

Thanks to all those that prompted me earlier in the thread, and helped out while I groped about my first lager style booze.

(One big minus appearancewise; I've got nasty chill-hazing on this one. I don't own a big fridge and fv'd it in the late spring so don't know how to avoid that. Next time it'll be over December/January and into the garage for a few days!)

Very disappointed with this after the good reviews. After two months conditioning mine still tastes very homebrewy - the rank taste i so strong I can't actually finish a bottle of it.

Hopefully time will improve it.

Lol, looking at the last two reviews, this appears to be a marmite beer... Either love or hate it...

Had one on Fri night, and was slightly better, but not as impressed with it as others seem to be...

nightsod said:
All the positive things said about this brew are true!

(One big minus appearancewise; I've got nasty chill-hazing on this one. I don't own a big fridge and fv'd it in the late spring so don't know how to avoid that. Next time it'll be over December/January and into the garage for a few days!)

I have quite the same problem, iv drunk a few of these at just below room temp and it's clear, put it in the fridge for too long tho and it's cloudy as hell, it tastes amazing still but I have to mark this one down due to the chill haze.

WOW, this is my first ever home brew kit i have done, i took advice from callumscott and made with 500g light spray malt , and 500g brewers sugar,left in fv1 for 7 days, syphoned into 2nd FV for a further 2 weeks with a big handfull of saag hops in a muslin bag.

its been bottled a month now and its gorgeous, its so nice i have a 3rd kit ready to start.

it has a very nice head all the way to the bottom of the glass, and if left in a cool place ( not a fridge ) it is nice and clear, straight from the fridge its a bit cloudy. Its as good as any commercial lager ive had..

i have to say these better brew kits are the best i have tried so far, and i have now done 2 IPA`s, 1 brown ale , 2 Czech Pils, and an export and another Czech pils to start...

Hard part is deffo the waiting so i am trying to do a kit each week to have enough stocks up..

Now the wife is questioning why i keep retreating to the garage to play Darts lol

aftermath said:
straight from the fridge its a bit cloudy

Seems to me that they haven't quite managed to "break" all the protiens, fats and amino acids from the wort before they condense it. Many have reported a chill haze, Mine certainly hazes when properly cold...

...not that it matters when it tastes this good mind! :thumb:

next Czech Pils i do i will try 500g lme, and ive bought some stella hops to try , so will add a big handfull of those too..

i might as well get another FV at this rate lol

Have got a batch of this that should be ready to bottle over the weekend, should I use brewing sugar (or something else) to prime the bottles or is normal granulated sugar ok?

JimmyB78 said:
Have got a batch of this that should be ready to bottle over the weekend, should I use brewing sugar (or something else) to prime the bottles or is normal granulated sugar ok?

Either will work. I use brewing sugar (dextrose) because there is some opinion that you can get off flavours from granulated (sucrose) although for the little you use to prime it would likely be negligible. I just don't want to put the time into the brew and not use the best possible ingredients...

Thanks, I'll try to get get some brewing sugar in before I bottle I think.

As you say, should use the best possible ingredients

JimmyB78 said:
Thanks, I'll try to get get some brewing sugar in before I bottle I think.

As you say, should use the best possible ingredients

i used 500g dextrose, and 500g Light Malt extract m8, it tastes so good i will have to do exactly the same next time , maybe change the hops a little, i will try the stella hops next...

Brewing this now, used 750g brewing sugar 500g light spray malt. Been in 10 days seems to have stopped fermenting (at a very low alcohol content) The sample looks very cloudy and a horrible colour like dish water. Doesn't taste very good.
will leave until the weekend mark but not looking good.

I am drinking one of these as we speak after 5 weeks in bottle and i have to say it is rather excellent!

:cheers:

If you want a weak tasting lager then this isnt for you....it has proper premium strength taste to it...highly recommended

will definitely brew again

:thumb:

I agree with Plumpton on this one.

I brewed this around 4 weeks ago as kit but added 500g light spraymalt with 500g brew sugar. Stayed in primary for over 2 weeks in the end and has been bottle conditioning with a measured teaspoon of brew sugar.

Taste is bang on! I would say very close to a strong continental lager you'd buy from the pub such as export or kronenbourg and considering this kit isn't even a 2 can / premium i'd say that's very good. I will be doing this one again but may use a full kg of spraymalt to see if it gets any better. :drunk:

tricky, if you can get the extra light spray malt you are on to a winner...

I did the pils just with dextrose and it was excellent, I did the export lager with all extra light spraymalt and it is a step up in quality (although it doesn't have the full flavour of the pils of course).

calumscott said:
tricky, if you can get the extra light spray malt you are on to a winner...

I did the pils just with dextrose and it was excellent, I did the export lager with all extra light spraymalt and it is a step up in quality (although it doesn't have the full flavour of the pils of course).

Cheers Calum. I'll give that a go next time then.

Why extra light anyways? I only ask because the spraymalt light says it's ideal for lagers/pils. I do have extra light in my stash but i'm going to use that for the BB IPA which i'm going to do next once i've bottled my bitter (tonight) :party:

Extra light is just that - extra light! My lager is the most wonderfully pale lager type I'm made from a kit so far...

...As soon as the yeast have fully flocculated and I can pour a completely clear one I'll put it up for a "Feck Test" and you'll see what I mean!

ah ok, i get it! Extra light next time then :thumb:

You saying that, mine have been conditioning for 3 weeks now but theres nowhere cold enough. Mine are a touch yeasty and cloudy. Any idea's how i can get them to clear in this heat? i did put a few in the fridge yesterday but i reckon this is going to be too cold.

Back