biab first timer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitstella

Reaction score
Hi

I've done several lme brews and now moving on to biab and might even go 3 pot system in the future. Just need some advice I have been reading that much on different sites I just need some basic advice.
I'm planning a stout Guinness and a pale ale using the biab method. I'm going for a double brew of both I've got a couple books which are great.

1. How much water do I start with full amount or so much per kg of grain.?
2. What temperature should I mash at and for how long is best over night or couple of hours.
3. Should I raise the temperature of wort with the grain still in the pot and to what temperature.
4.should I sparge or dunk spurge what is the difference.
5. What is best boiling time 60 mins 90 mins or 120 mins.

I don't mind what final % 3.5 to 5.5

Plus any other advice you pros think I might need.

Many thanks steve

Get the BIABacus spreadsheet from biabrewer.info to work out your volumes. If you do full volume BIAB then there is no need for a separate sparge. I mash and boil for 90 minutes. I don't bother to mash out and get good efficiency.

Hi , the best tip here is only do 1 brew , the term brew day refers to all grain (and biab) as it takes 6 hrs or 8 to 9 if you have a few problems (likely on your first go)
You can either do the lot in 1 go if like (water) but you need a pot big enough , if it's a standard 23 liter brew then you may need upto 36 liters of water , using say 5kg of grain will absorb 5 liters plus boiling and hops you lose a good 6 liters .
If your pot ain't big enough then you do as much as you can and re fill with fresh water( heated) until you have your required amount for boiling (around 28/30 liters) .
you are best to get the water already hot enough then add grains, if heating with grain in pot make sure to stir so grains don't get scorched on bottom ( a grain bag is often used)

pittsy is right, only do one in a day and don't plan to do anything else.

I brew a 70l pot. For standard (up to 5.5 - 6.0%) beers that is a whole potful, right to the brim and I get 40l of wort at the end.

Have a look through some of my brewday posts for an idea of how it rolls. Also, my BIAB how to in my signature might be a help.

Here's my version of Aleman's effin oatmeal stout which I cannot recommend highly enough - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewt ... 1&p=378220

In fact, I'm off to pour one... :drink:

Latest posts

Back