Big Mouth Bubbler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone else used one of these? I got one from Beer Hawk a while back because the big wide mouth looked like it would be easy to clean etc.

What a load of rubbish... the lid just pushes in. Which means even with a blowoff hose, the lid just pops off. I've got beer all over the place where it went a bit crazy and just popped the lid off.

Am I missing something? Or is it just a rubbish design?

Anyone else used one of these? I got one from Beer Hawk a while back because the big wide mouth looked like it would be easy to clean etc.

What a load of rubbish... the lid just pushes in. Which means even with a blowoff hose, the lid just pops off. I've got beer all over the place where it went a bit crazy and just popped the lid off.

Thought you were talking about Gunge,:grin::grin::grin:
Donning my flak jacket as we speak:whistle:

Totally agree that the lid is ****. Bought one to do long fermentation of sours. The Lid is now held down with a small crowbar as this was the heavies thing I could find.

Totally agree that the lid is ****. Bought one to do long fermentation of sours. The Lid is now held down with a small crowbar as this was the heavies thing I could find.

Sorry but I can’t help but picture you being caught red handed breaking in to somewhere with a crowbar and this is your excuse to the police for owning it 😂😂😂😂😂
I must make this my last beer tonight 😉

Hi!
I liked the look of these but ��£35?
https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/big-mouth-bubbler-6-5-gallon-siphonless

It is also 17cm taller than my fermenting buckets, so I'll have problems fitting it into my brew fridge.
Try googling "Big mouth bubbler lid" - there are suggestions, including You Tube videos, to improve things.

Ah I didn't think to google it, I just assumed it was rubbish.

I just saw a youtube video of someone saying that you have to make sure the opening to the FV and the lid are both dry. That doesn't help since I tend to throw the lid into a bucket of star san until I'm ready to put it on. Surely if I then have to get a tea towel and dry it, it's not sanitised any more?

I got it on Beer Hawk from one of their sales, I paid £19 for 6.5 gallon glass one, so I didn't think it was bad value but the lid just pops off with the pressure.

Hi!
I notice that the glass version is shorter and fatter - that's more attractive to me but I'm so cackhanded I would break it on the first day!
Is the problem that the lid lifts on its own or only when the brew begins to exert pressure by producing CO2? The hole for the airlock looks quite large - could you fix up a wide bore vinyl tube as a blowoff to relieve the pressure? The other suggestion is to rig up a donut shaped weight to fit on the lid when in use - not an elegant solution, but probably effective. I understand from one video that some people use a brick!
My own solution would be to brew without fitting an airlock or a blowoff - the pressure of CO2 will keep out oxygen and protect the brew from nasties.
PS - don't get too obsessive about sanitation. If you've sanitised the lid and bottle, a quick wipe with a CLEAN cloth won't spoil anything.

It lifts ever so slightly on it's own, but then when any pressure is excerpted from inside, it lifts off completely. I tried a wide hose for blow off, but because it's not a tight enough fit, the C02 leaks around the sides of the hose. I've gone for a piece of racking cane in a bung and some hose into a bottle, but it still lifts. Of course, it's only an issue for the first few days, then when the brew settles down it's not an issue.

I'll give it another try sometime and try drying the lid before fitting it, see if it makes a difference.

I think it's meant to be a universal lid that fits all their fvs. Mine seals with one of the 4 bands of silicone above the lip of the bubbler, but airlock activity suggests a reasonable seal. After chatting with @darkbright and hitting the internet, I made sure the inside of the neck and lid itself were both dry.

Pic below might be of use?

:Edit: its the ~20 litre glass version

:Edit2: The airlock hole is larger than a standard bung (or at least, the bungs I had to hand & in my LHBS). You'll need a size 6.5 . [thanks again @darkbright]

IMG_20171219_082531.jpg

Back