Bitter yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real purpose of FD20P is to prevent boil overs in the kettle, and I have seen it in use where the boiling surface of the wort is within 1 inch of the top of the kettle (do not try this at home ;) ) the FD20P was applied using a spray bottle as the wort came to the boil and worked really well, very very effective . . . it actually gets trapped in the hot break and so is removed before it gets into the FV (Apparently). I normally add 1ml of FD20P to 5 ml of warm water, then add 1ml of this to the FV just before transferring the cooled wort. I use Inline aeration and without it I can end up with 80L of foam in a 40L FV ( I run my O2 at 2L per minute) :? It gets removed as it get trapped in the cold break/ and trub as the yeast falls out of suspension.

It is a good product and works very well, As I say I use very little, and would suspect that you need to be looking at higher dosages to have an effective yeast head reduction.

120L :shock: Feck me, if it doesn't you can give it to someone who's homeless! :thumb:

:lol:

If it does fit I'd like to see the yeast try and escape from that mother :lol:
oops :nono: shouldn't have said that :shock:

I hope it does fit as it would give me the flexibility to control the ferment on a very large batch...well to me anyway.
120 ltrs = 6 cornies filled at once :eek:

:shock: Imagine that :shock: a whole fortnights worth kegged in one go :shock:

Just kidding ;)

Aleman, aerate inline with co2 ? How do you do that? Do you do it after the fv is filled or whilst it's in the process of. I just use a large placcy spoon but was thinking of a paint paddle on a drill, or just put some sterilised beer line in the wort at say 2 psi. Am I miles away? :wha:

jb.

He said O2. I inline aerate too....I use a morebeer part which is a stainless tee price with a stainless diffusion stone in one inlet, a CPC QD in the other and a barbed outlet at the bottom. I pump filtered air through the diffusion stone whilst pumping the wort past it into the FV. You basically end up with foam being pumped into the FV.

Edit: changed kettle to FV.

Steve, sorry if I sound thick, but it reads to me that it is aerated prior to the boil. Also

What's a 'CPC QD'

jb.

What's a 'CPC QD'

cpc qd

Steve or Aleman, is Brupaks Antifoam the same as AD290?
If so is it a concentrated version?
I've had a look at the AD290 instruction on the Morebeer website which says it's added to the fv prior to the wort being added as per previous advice, but the Brupaks only has a spray instruction :hmm:

jonnybeer said:
Steve, sorry if I sound thick, but it reads to me that it is aerated prior to the boil.
Sorry my fault, I should have said FV - not kettle. I'd been drinking... :roll:

Vossy, I don't know if they are exactly the same but AFAIK they are at least very similar materials. I originally used the morebeer stuff but when Brupaks started selling their product I started using that the same way as I had the MoreBeer stuff.

I have the data sheet for FD20P which is a Murphys product . . . just need to find it when I do I'll post the dosage rates and such forth

Vossy1 said:
Cheers J_P, but now you've got me thinking if I can source maltose cheaply :)

I think the easiest/cheapest way is to do a dummy batch AG and freeze the wort, or collect the runnings you won't use from a brew day and freeze/use that.

On my last brew day after running of into the kettle after the hopstrainer stopped i poured any remaining wort into a saucepan through a seive, boiled that up then poured it into a flask, give it another boil to make sure everything was ticketyboo and thats what i used as the wort for my next starter.
I don't know what the deadspace in your boiler is voss but if its as large as mine (about close on 2L) this is probably something worth having a go at :thumb:

I do the same for my kettles as well, can recover a good couple of L of wort, especially If I squeeze the hops . . . OK so I have to let the sludge settle but thats not difficult. Then its pressure cook, Filter into storage jars,pressure cook again, Seal and store.

steve_flack said:
He said O2. I inline aerate too....I use a morebeer part which is a stainless tee price with a stainless diffusion stone in one inlet, a CPC QD in the other and a barbed outlet at the bottom. I pump filtered air through the diffusion stone whilst pumping the wort past it into the FV. You basically end up with foam being pumped into the FV.

Edit: changed kettle to FV.

Sorry but i don't get the O2 bit. You say you pump filtered AIR through a diffusion stone? How does that make 02? Or are you just refering to air as 02?

and i think i've missed the point of aerating the wort pre boil or am i more ****** than i think? I can't be too ****** i can still type :lol:

MEB said:
Sorry but i don't get the O2 bit. You say you pump filtered AIR through a diffusion stone? How does that make 02? Or are you just refering to air as 02?

and i think i've missed the point of aerating the wort pre boil or am i more ****** than i think? I can't be too ****** i can still type :lol:

No Aleman said he pumps O2 into the wort on its journey from the Kettle to the FV, and Steve Said he used Filtered air . . . of course Steve did say to the kettle, but retracted that later.

Keep up at the back there :drink:

Latest posts

Back